Vintage Milk Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

AKA: Casein. This stuff is OLD. Circa 1920's from what I was told. Very brittle and not the best material for custom work! Cracks super easy at the slightest pressure. However, I just had to see if I could do it so here it is :biggrin:

Because of how brittle this is I decided to go with a center band to help support the cap threads. In hindsight I would instead make a sleeve with threads bc I don't think these will hold up over time. Right now they're nice and smooth, but since this is essentially stabilized powdered milk they won't last forever.

This one I'll be keeping in my personal collection :biggrin:

DSC03941 (700x275).jpg DSC03943 (624x700).jpg DSC03945 (574x700).jpg DSC03949 (609x700).jpg DSC03952 (700x351).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Jonathon ,
Love the Casine Body, Fantastic Colour and Pattern.
Glorious Profile and Line, enhanced by the Centre Sleeve and Thread Ring.
A definate Keeper,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Very nice Jonathon I like the colors. I have never seen casein that color, I have only seen the white "striped" color. Where did you ever find a material like that?

Mike

bobleibo

We see so much amazing work on this site. Every once in awhile, there's one that makes you just go WOW. This would be one of them. Well done.

jimjam66

she's a beaut, alright! I suspect you are right about the threads - I had a VERY new trustone pen destroyed by someone who tried to yank the cap off the other day ... If he hadn't given me an order I'd have kicked him in the fun bits! It did bring home to me that sleeving soft materials to give the threads some strength is a good idea.

:mad:

Last edited:

rsmith

Beautiful pen, the blank really looks amazing. What was the stuff use for in the 1920's?

You sir are a brave man...the material made today is a much stronger mix, which is also why you usually only see the striped variety, but the vintage stuff is brittle, yet will still stand up to heat and water, unlike some of the newer versions. It was used in the same fashion as Bakelite in the early part of the century before more modern plastics, and yes, buttons/pokerchips were the most common uses due to the way it had to be machined (usually in rod form) but because of the formaldehyde used in the process, it also went the way of bakelike as it can be "toxic" to make by todays standards and very few people actually make it commercially...beautiful material though, I love using any vintage plastics I can get my hands on :good:

Brooks803

Thank you ALL for the kind words. This material is just amazing. Unforgiving in every way, but beyond compare beautiful (much like my wife:worship:). I've got a bit more of this stuff in a couple different colors. Now that I know what to expect they'll most likely be saved for special projects.

That is amazing! Good choices and excellent work. Centerband is a nice reflection of the lines in the material.

Harry

Good eye Harry! That's exactly what I was going for :biggrin:

This one is really amazing Jonathon. Is the center band custom? And did you cut those metal threads? We need details.

Thanks Bob! I'm surprised my phone hasn't rung yet, lol.

The band isn't of my making. You can get them from Richard Greenwald. He has them in a few different platings. We can talk about the threads later :wink:. Gotta have some bit of mystery :ghost::biggrin:

Brooks803

I also forgot to mention that now that I've seen the response this pen is getting I'm starting to regret my decision to use a different pen in the advanced contest!

Top Bottom