VERTEX tube size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Does anybody know if the VERTEX uses the same tube as another kit? I have a customer that wants a pin chuck for one and I need to have a tube to fit the chuck.

He said it was the same as the Bolt Action kit but I don't have one of those either!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Thanks Mike. I have that printed out but it's WAY off for making pin chucks. I did look at it though, it seems the VERTEX is the same size as the ATLAS...I have that kit so I think that's what I'll go with.

To give you an example of how far off that chart is, it says the ATLAS is .342", I have one right in front of me and it measures .348".
The chart meaures the stock bushing sizes and we all know how sloppy they fit!
If I made a pin chuck for the ATLAS at .342" it would be so small that the pin wouldn't engage!:biggrin:

MikeL

I was using the chart yesterday to determine if Sierra bushings are the same as Sienna's. it says they are the same. I guess the margin of error will be the same. I have only been turning for about 8 months. Did not know kit bushings were that far off.

MarkD

Rick, I use the same TBC bushing on the Vertex and the Majestic Squire. The charts says they are .342. I just measured a Vertex tube and it measures about .347-.348.

rherrell

Rick, I use the same TBC bushing on the Vertex and the Majestic Squire. The charts says they are .342. I just measured a Vertex tube and it measures about .347-.348.

THANKS Mark, now I feel ALOT better about going forward, I was hoping somebody had a Vertex!:biggrin:

rherrell

I was using the chart yesterday to determine if Sierra bushings are the same as Sienna's. it says they are the same. I guess the margin of error will be the same. I have only been turning for about 8 months. Did not know kit bushings were that far off.

Yes, they are Mike, that's why so many of us get custom ones from johnnycnc!:biggrin: If you haven't tried TBC with his bushings I recommend you treat yourself to a pair...you'll never go back!

MikeL

Yet another good tip. I will look into TBC ( turn between centers?). I have made several pens where I am finally happy with the finish just to find the tip or cap isn't perfectly flush when I assemble. Maybe this will help me get to the next level of quality and consistency. Thanks

MarkD

Yet another good tip. I will look into TBC ( turn between centers?). I have made several pens where I am finally happy with the finish just to find the tip or cap isn't perfectly flush when I assemble. Maybe this will help me get to the next level of quality and consistency. Thanks
TBC is Turning between centers. You use a drive center in the headstock and a live center in the tailstock. You can either use the centers right in the brass tube and use calipers to determine the diameter or you can get bushings made for turning between centers. Check out johnycnc Penturners Products!

It's a much more accurate method than using a mandrel and standard bushings. Some people have also machined centers in their standard bushings but my feeling is to just buy TBC bushings in first place.

MikeL

You guys just brought johnnyCNC business. Just bought a dead center and a couple pairs of steel bushings. He is out of the jr gent size. Guess I will visit the site at a later date. Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to make better pens.

MarkD

You guys just brought johnnyCNC business. Just bought a dead center and a couple pairs of steel bushings. He is out of the jr gent size. Guess I will visit the site at a later date. Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to make better pens.
You can't go wrong. John is a great guy to deal with and products are high quality.

Top Bottom