Vertex Supreme or Graduate for Multiple Pen Order?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

Would you feel comfortable using the Vertex or Graduate (PSI) on a 75 pen order? I've used the Graduate but never made a Vertex. I'll be making samples of each in gunmetal and chrome for the customer to choose from.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

I'd think either one would be good. I've got a couple of Graduate kits but haven't turned them yet. I've turned several Vertex kits in all styles. If you use the original Vertex magnetic you only have one tube to turn but if you go with the Supreme, you'd have 2 per pen just like with the Graduate. I think either would be a hit. I'm a big fan of Gun Metal plating.

TonyL

I don't find either to present any difficult challenges to turn. In fact, I am prepping/making a Vertex Supreme FP for myself now. Congratulations on the order!

budnder

Not what you asked, but might be related... I had a recent multi pen order where the request was for something classy but economical. I went with Oxford V2's because they are capped and have some heft (e.g. meets the classy criteria) and being a single tube, about as easy as it gets to make. Strikes me that you could make the same positive argument for the Vertex magnetic.

While I haven't done a magnetic Vertex, I have done several Magnetic Graduates. They're a very nice and interesting pen. The magnetic feature is fully adequate to insure the cap stays on. However, I did have some issues at assembly. On a at least 3 occasions, when I pressed in a component, the fit was too tight and I fractured the blank. A couple times this happened with TruStone (co$tly!!). I started reducing the ID so the components were. "slip fit" and using CA to secure them. It worked but that's a pain. This was the only kit I had that issue with.

I've turned a few regular (single barrel) Vertex fountain pens. Some don't care for the cap & finial shape, and sometimes the nib & finial don't stay screwed in tight. I use a dab of LocTite on the finial, the nib you just have to hope for the best. That being said, for the price it's a nice little fountain that writes good and has been a hit with a few coworkers. Simple to turn with just one barrel, the magnetic cap is a nice touch, and the gunmetal looks great imo. I have a gunmetal with Thuya burl that looks very nice, it's my go to at my job. The chrome ones have all been paired with blanks I've cast using different shades of blue as the main color and they too look quite nice although the finish isn't as smooth as the gunmetal, not sure why that is. Also, there's a bead on each end of the barrel, so it's a bit more forgiving of how close you turn it to the bushings. The components have also all pressed together very easily. It's a fast & simple pen to make.

Top Bottom