Vertex dismantling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I want to put a better finish on a Vertex click pen that I made. How do I remove the "click" end of the pen? I have all the punches I'm just worried I'll screw up the mechanism if I go in with punches. Anyone broke a vertex click down before? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I want to put a better finish on a Vertex click pen that I made. How do I remove the "click" end of the pen? I have all the punches I'm just worried I'll screw up the mechanism if I go in with punches. Anyone broke a vertex click down before? Thanks
Hi Scott; "Broke" is the operative word here! You can remove the tranny from it's present position in the clip end by pushing in on it, but it is still inside the tube. There is no way that I'm aware of then to remove the clip end.

Here's a way I will try if I ever have to again. Wrap some tape around the nib end and secure it in a collet chuck. Attempt to pull the pen apart by pulling the pen away from the nib itself.

Failing that, I called PSI for a replacement tranny at least 3 weeks ago or more. I haven't seen it yet, so I'm waiting till the new year and will give them another call.

I asked for help on this same problem in November past. No help was forthcoming, so I joined the knitting club as was suggested!:rolleyes::biggrin:Just kidding!
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71378

ldb2000

Mac is on the right track , as long as you didn't glue in the parts . I would suggest that you wrap the body and the end hardware in masking tape , use enough to make a good grip then firmly hold the pen body in one hand and the end hardware in the other and wiggle the parts as you pull on the two tape grips . I have successfuly used this method several times on other kits . It's not easy to do and will require allot of effort but it does work without damaging the pen and parts .

3rd that. I have used the "brute force and ignorance" method a few times myself. Works well when your very diligent and careful.

aggromere

I only tried to take one vertex apart. I succeded in destroying the click mechanism and getting it so far down in the tube I could never get it out.

Polarys425

You need two cloth towels, and two adjustable wrenches. One for each end of the pen. Use the towels to protect finish. Using the wrenches to gently turn the click end using an upward motion at the same time. Turn the click end in the direction that causes the nib end to tighten (should be clockwise looking down on the click end of the pen), otherwise you'll just be unscrewing the nib. You could use a small nylon washer between the nib and coupler to help make it easier to get nib off afterwards, as you will be tighteng the nib when removing the click mechanism.

This is how a disassembled one that the tube was originally too short to work correctly.

Hess

I must have got lucky 2 times so far I wanted to remove the clip end took a punch that would just fit thought though other end and was able to tap each of them right out using a small dead blow hammer. Was able to reuse each one

My problem is I had someone dropped one the other gay made with CF and the clip end broke off at the place where it joined the tube, The white plastic just snapped right off flushed

Top Bottom