Vertex Clicker?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

I've made a few of the Vertex clickers and I like the quiet, soft, smoothness of the mechanism. However, it appears to be fragile. Those of you that have experience with it, have you had any to come back due to breakage or failure? If so what percentage?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

I have made a couple of the Vertex clickers. My own preference is not the Vertex. I prefer the Stratus clicker from PSI and the long clicker from CSUSA better. The mechanisms on those two seem better and stronger to me. My .02.

bjbear76

Yeah, I liked the vertex at first too. I started using it at work but found the mechanism started failing. My first show is in 2 weeks and now I'm hesitant on displaying any I've made.

LL Woodworks

Yeah, I liked the vertex at first too. I started using it at work but found the mechanism started failing. My first show is in 2 weeks and now I'm hesitant on displaying any I've made.

I know where you are coming from on this - I doubt I'll offer them based on these comments.

LL Woodworks

I have made a couple of the Vertex clickers. My own preference is not the Vertex. I prefer the Stratus clicker from PSI and the long clicker from CSUSA better. The mechanisms on those two seem better and stronger to me. My .02.

Doesn't the stratus and vertex have the same plastic mechanism?

Dan Masshardt

Doesn't the stratus and vertex have the same plastic mechanism?

Yes. They are the same mechanism. According to psi.

Oddly, I had problems with the stratus early on that seem to have resolved - on the same individual pens.

I like the long click and the aero click.

Looking back through past threads though, many people seem to really like the vertex.

allisnut

Stratus and vertex are the same mechanism, as are the sierra clicks, I think. The long clicker feels more robust, but is too rough and noisy for me. I've had a small percentage of the vertex pens come back, all due to being dropped and the click button broke off with a piece of the plastic shaft still in it. I've fixed them as a courtesy, but it hasn't been a huge deal.

Adam

wouldentu2?

I had made several Vertex clicks and both were dropped, landed horizontal and the click end broke. Looked slick but did not last.

Bigj51

I've made a bunch of the vertex clickers. Several for myself and a bunch that I've sold with zero failures from actual use. One brought theirs back saying it wouldn't work. Turns out they did not put the spring back in when changing refill. One of mine broke when it flew out of my pocket and landed on asphalt. But if I drop any of my pens and ding up parts then I take them apart, refinish them and put new parts on them. So bottom line.... They are a good kit that I would not hesitate to sell for their given price point. You want the most durable click mechanisms? Then go kitless and use the one I use from Richard Greenwald. Great feel. Really smooth and no loud clicking noise.

image-2056036601.jpg

LL Woodworks

I've made a bunch of the vertex clickers. Several for myself and a bunch that I've sold with zero failures from actual use. One brought theirs back saying it wouldn't work. Turns out they did not put the spring back in when changing refill. One of mine broke when it flew out of my pocket and landed on asphalt. But if I drop any of my pens and ding up parts then I take them apart, refinish them and put new parts on them. So bottom line.... They are a good kit that I would not hesitate to sell for their given price point. You want the most durable click mechanisms? Then go kitless and use the one I use from Richard Greenwald. Great feel. Really smooth and no loud clicking noise.

View attachment 101723

Thanks Jeff - you are not the first to suggest the mechanism from Richard. I've made kitless Fountain Pens and roller balls but no clickers as of yet. Can you advise if there is any special tap and dies needed to use the referenced click mechanism from Richard? His web site doesn't give much info.
Thanks to all for your responses:)

Brooks803

View attachment 101723

Thanks Jeff - you are not the first to suggest the mechanism from Richard. I've made kitless Fountain Pens and roller balls but no clickers as of yet. Can you advise if there is any special tap and dies needed to use the referenced click mechanism from Richard? His web site doesn't give much info.
Thanks to all for your responses:)

The only tool you'll need is a 7x.75 tap for the mech. Since you're doing custom FP's and RB's you should have everything else. Here's a tutorial on the process: http://content.penturners.org/library/pens/kitlessclickpen.pdf

Rangertrek

I have made and sold about a dozen Vertex pens. I have had one come back, it was dropped by the user and broke the white mechanism off in the end cap.
Not my idea; but, there is a simple fix for this. :)

Take a round tooth pick and sand it down a bit to fit inside the white mechanism from the top. Measure the length, then cut a bit short. A little ca glue on the tooth pick part and put it in. This will reinforce the internal parts. I dropped my own Vertex, it hit on the click end, and did not break on the inside. It worked for me. After the first few I made, I have done this on all the others. Not had one come back recently. Still my favorite click because it is quiet and smooth.

greggas

I sell about 200 Vertex clickers each year ( I have a corporate client who loves them) and have yet to have one issue ( knock on wood)

jmm666

I've only made one and I liked the soft click. I was using it and dropped it on the floor.
The click mechanism broke.
I still like the pen and will make more but all click mechanisms can fail. The plastic parts don't hold up when dropped on hard surfaces.

BSea

View attachment 101723
+1 on this mechanism. If you're into mass production, this may not be the way to go. But if you want a quality click pen, I don't know of anything better. It's all metal, and no spring in the mechanism. It uses the force of the spring in the nib to function properly. It also now comes in a gold plated version.

LL Woodworks

I have made and sold about a dozen Vertex pens. I have had one come back, it was dropped by the user and broke the white mechanism off in the end cap.
Not my idea; but, there is a simple fix for this. :)

Take a round tooth pick and sand it down a bit to fit inside the white mechanism from the top. Measure the length, then cut a bit short. A little ca glue on the tooth pick part and put it in. This will reinforce the internal parts. I dropped my own Vertex, it hit on the click end, and did not break on the inside. It worked for me. After the first few I made, I have done this on all the others. Not had one come back recently. Still my favorite click because it is quiet and smooth.

Great idea John. Since I have about a half dozen kits already purchased I think I'll use this method for insurance.

Thanks

Top Bottom