Vertex Click Pen & Pencil in Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RodNeep

RodNeep

0486-deantech-ebony-800.jpg

Satin finish to the ebony with shellac & carnauba wax. (I use this with ebony as a CA finish makes it look like plastic).

Rod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Beautiful set. They look exact in dimension. I prefer the CA finish myself as I always visioned ebony with a smooth shiny surface. This is NOT to take away from your excellent choice and resulting finish.

I know, you know, to keep an eye on the ebony. See if it splits. Those look like they were cut pretty thin. If they don't split, share the method you used: glue, tube prep, etc.
John, in Conroe, Texas

RodNeep

I know, you know, to keep an eye on the ebony. See if it splits. Those look like they were cut pretty thin. If they don't split, share the method you used: glue, tube prep, etc.
John, in Conroe, Texas

Indeed.

I have made probably about 30 pens of ebony, and with only two that split in time. Those two both used a CA finish. So that's one of the reasons I chicken out of a CA finish on the stuff. I think that CA on the inside and the outside may have something to do with splitting. A very thin flexible finish may let the wood move when it wants to? It works for me.

Other than that, I just roughen up the tubes, glue up with thick CA, and turn very gently taking light cuts once I get it round. I also use a reamer on the insides of the tubes before pressing in the parts.... so that they are still a good fit, but not quite so tight as usual, and hence exert less pressure from within.

Cheers
Rod

Last edited:
Top Bottom