Versa Chisel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

I thought I saw that the set was on sale recently but can not remember were. Today being payday I was looking to order if anyone can remember who had the sale. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

emackrell

Greg, newbie question: what does the versachisel do? When would you use that vice say a skew or gouge?

cheers Eileen[:)]

redfishsc

Eileen, I have not used a Versa-chisel. Personally it looks too much like a gimmick to me to buy it. If I can't do it with a spindle gouge, skew, or parting tool, then I likely don't need to do it. And note that I am NOT a pro by any stretch!

DocStram

Eileen, like almost everything here ..... you get a variety of opinions! So, I will speak up for the versachisel. I bought two of them about 4 months ago. I just really like them a whole, whole lot. Even though I know how to use a skew, I still find myself picking up my versachisel and using it to make pens. I'm sold on them! They are exceptionally easy to use and give you great control.

Dario

I am a minimalist in tools and try to keep my arsenal to 2 or 3 if possible. I haven't found any application that warrants the need for another tool yet.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have about 20 chisels gathered from here there and yonder (un-purchased), most of them being duplicates. I made one into chisel similar to what is shown in the link and use it as more than any other chisel that I have.

KenV

My spouse gave me one for christmas last year. I have, of course, used it some. It does not have a sharp point or acute angle which makes it very hard to catch. This is a very safe catch free tool, especially for someone wanting to go fast, and not wanting to do fine details. It cuts slower than my 1/2 inch skew. I took a look and see as I have been diamond honing it, the edges are now more acute and the rounded tip is approaching a point. It is now starting to approac a point tool (you should consider making a point tool or two from an old drill bit)

My thoughts are that you would get more from a Harbor Freight tool set for 1/2 the price and rework them with the grinder to be what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom