Vendor Recommendations Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all, I want to build a desk with my son. (His idea, and hard to say no when he's expressing an interest in woodworking.) I don't have the time (or workshop space) to frame up something made entirely out of wood. But I was thinking of getting some of those metal desk legs, and then he and I would make the desktop and a simple drawer underneath. I figure it will be a simple enough project that he could actually do a large amount of the work himself, and it's not something that will take so long that we'll inevitably start it but never find the time to finish.

Here's my problem--I don't know what to do for a matching chair. Even setting aside the time, I don't have the skills to make a full chair. What I'd like to do is find some kind of chair "frame" made out of metal that would match the desklegs I want to buy, and then we could make a chair back and seat out of wood to match the desktop. I've seen bench legs that match, but nothing for a chair. Anyone have any ideas where I might find something like this? Another option might be to fashion a stool or small bench. But that won't be very comfortable for what I hope will be long study sessions as he enters junior high next year and then high school!

Appreciate any help or ideas folks might have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

As for a chair, there are a sackful on the market; Staples, Office Depot, as examples. You are only limited by your budget. I shop at Woodcraft. You will find that some wood will be very expensive as walnut, etc. Building a desk can be very expensive. Worthwhile project but consider the cost versus a ready made desk.

EricRN

As for a chair, there are a sackful on the market; Staples, Office Depot, as examples. You are only limited by your budget. I shop at Woodcraft. You will find that some wood will be very expensive as walnut, etc. Building a desk can be very expensive. Worthwhile project but consider the cost versus a ready made desk.
Yeah. I know this is likely to be more expensive than something premade. But (1) this will definitely be better built and higher quality, and (2) hopefully an enjoyable and memorable experience for my kid. I'm willing to pay a premium for #2. Plus, with the design I have in mind, cost will probably only be $150-200 more than a cheap, ready-built option.

Top Bottom