Vendor insurance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gandsande

Hey I am looking for suggestions of event insurance providers for Craft sales/shows in Canada. I would like to do a few shows and the only thing i am finding so far in Canada is for a 200.00 per 3 day event coverage (WOW).

I have seen what looks to be a more fair price for vendors and events in the states with Artists & Craft Fair Liability Insurance | ACT Insurance Program but they wont cover Canadians at events in Canada.

Does any one have a suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm new to the events side of pen sales... What area of town are you trying to sell pens? You need insurance? Is a craft sale in Gotham city wise? Or are you multi-tasking as a penmaking skew juggler?

I will be watching this thread, because I don't understand it fully.

desertrat

Not sure about Canada but here in Nevada I was able to add a rider to my home owners policy for 1 million liability and loss of income for a very nominal yearly premium. You might check with your agent.

John H

PenMan1

I don't know ANYTHING about Canadian Insurance. But, I can tell you about American Show Vendor insurance.

If you buy it as an "extention" of Home Owner's insurance, it is basically WORTHLESS (too many clauses and basically NO coverage) those premiums run about $200-$500 per year and it reality, COVERS NOTHING!

TRUST YOUR ACCOUNTANT AND PAY HIM/HER WELL! The CHEAP OR FREE accountants are MUCH OVERPAID! A reputable BUSINESS accountant will make SOLID recommendations based on your exposure.

If you are going to be a "hobbiest" , hire a "hobby" accountant and a "hobby" insurance agent, and "roll the dice". If you are going to be a professional, GET PROFESSIONAL ADVICE!

If you set your business up as a either a SubChapterS or DBA(my guru says LLC is STUPID), all of the rules change. LET your accountant recommend your insurance needs!

I am have dual MBA's. One in Finance/Insurance, another in Computer Science. The LAST thing I would do is "write my own insurance policy" or "be my own accountant"....I will, however, design my and build own computer network, as this is "stupid science". If my computer network malfunctions, I am not at risk, financially or "really accountable" to anyone other than myself.

If you make pens, professionally, HIRE the BEST PEOPLE THAT YOU CAN AFFORD! If your are futzing around, just expose what you can afford to lose...WE LIVE IN SUE HAPPY WORLD!

Last edited:

dexter0606

I've only needed coverage once and I ended getting it through the organizer.
I went the route of calling my home owner policy holder and was told it would be a lot cheaper to do it through the organizer. Believe me it was!
I think it cost me in the neighbourhood of $225 for 3 days but it was much cheaper than through the insurance company

That was a Toronto show and by the time all was said and done it cost me about $1,300 total for a 5 x 10 booth

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Just for general knowledge here in the states you can get FULL coverage through an Inland Marine policy, you can call your insurance agent and he should be able to write a police through Inland Marine.
This insurance will cover damages to property rented , your property (Tent, displays, and stock) Liability up to $1,000,000 (can get more if required)medical expense $10,000. It covers all your merchandise to and from the show and loss in your Van if your broken into and merchandise is stolen. I pay less then $300 a year and have $100 deductable. A friend of mine who does glass scuplture had wind destroy his tent (a Trimline so you know it was a hell of a wind) and distroy around $30,000 in glass and had a check in two weeks.

Top Bottom