Variable Speed Controller??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I've got a Delta 46-460, Type 1. Delivered new in October 2016, sat pretty idle until this spring when I turned my first pen. Probably closing in on 100 pens & ornaments--nothing large. I switch regularly between the speed ranges, depending on whether i'm drilling, turning, finishing or buffing. Also use the variable control within those ranges.

About a week ago if the variable pot was less than maximum, i'd occasionally drop RPM's, then it would surge back up to where it was. Tried plugging into a different circuit which I know has nothing else on it, same thing. I vacuum the bench and switch area pretty regularly, but have not disassembled the switch box to vacuum that out.

Since I have a 5 year warranty, I spent about 40 minutes on hold with Delta today before having to get back to my day job. I'll keep trying that, since the speed controller shows as "Discontinued". The full control box is available--but at $468 USD, i'm certainly not going to buy one. I'd not hesitate to swap parts at a reasonable cost, but finding a fault in a component is beyond my skills.

Mostly, i'm just venting--but if anyone has any ideas i'm open to suggestions. Have done a little reading tonight, and it sounds like bypassing that speed controller is not likely an option, but I may be reading wrong.

If it worsens, I may have to pick up a second machine as we have at least 20 to turn for Christmas orders, not counting the ones for family. Thanks for listening!!
earl

KenV

The usual failure with these kind of behaviors is the variable speed pot. about a 10-15 dollar cost and some quick soldering.

Common failure even on the big dog lathe controllers too

Delta warrenty is still the best shot --

Top Bottom