Valentine turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CycleTurner

CycleTurner

Hello all,

Here is a rolling pin that I made for Valentine's day. It is a simple but useful item for the baker in the house. In the spirit of Valentine's day, I cut inlay hearts and filled them with red glitter.

The wood is oak and mineral oil has been rubbed on it. The body is around 11 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. The handles are 4 inches long - 1 inch at the thickest and 3/4 inch at the thinnest. The handles extends 1 inch into the body and are 1/2 inch in diameter. Since the handles are glued in, they turn when the body turns.

Things I learned from making this rolling pin
-If you have a mini lathe and do not have a bed extension, do not glue on the handles before you add the inlays.

-Glitter is not a good material for inlay. When sanding the excess, the silver part of the glitter shows through. I would rather have a solid red heart than a red and silver heart.

-Don't drop the rolling pin while removing it from the lathe. Metal is harder than wood and the only way to remove the dents is to reshape it.

-When drilling, make sure the holes on both ends straight and centered. Handles that are angled or not centerd makes for a bad rolling pin.

-Getting the handles to look the same took me a long time, and I still don't think I got it right.

-Cutting the heart inlays took a lot of effort. I wish I had a more automated way of doing this, maybe a heart shaped branding iron would be useful.

Questions for anyone who can provide an answer
-I used CA glue and glitter for the heart inlays. I assume glitter is not deadly with food contact, but what about CA glue? I don't expect any to chip off, but I would hate for someone to get poison pastry or something.

-If CA glue is not recommended, what else could I use?

-If I used embossing powder, can it be used with food contact?

Final thoughts
For Valentine's day besides the usual flowers, candy, teddy bears, and other such gifts, I thought a nice utility item like a rolling pin would be a good gift for someone who likes to bake. The little inlay hearts would remind the user of the giver every time dough was being rolled out. :)

-CT

Attachments

• Rolling Pin 01.jpg
    Rolling Pin 01.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Rolling Pin 02.jpg
    Rolling Pin 02.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 136

TurnedAround

Nice work but I don't think I would get my wife something that she could use on me. :biggrin:

CA shouldn't be toxic after curing fully. At that point it's a polymer (basically a chunk of plastic) I don't believe stomach acid would do anything to it. It might "scratch" on the way out though. :eek:

Ed

Top Bottom