UV cured resin>>>

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

follow3

Has anyone tried UV cured resin like they are starting to use for finishing pool cues?

1. Did it work well?
2. Where is the product available?
3. Any tips on applying?

Thanks,
Steve

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I was thinking the same question the other day when I attended a presentation on UV curable conformal coatings.

My company makes aircraft engine controls and we currently conformal coat the circuit boards with an air / heat cureable material. The current material contains various MOCs and VOCs(Materials and Volatiles of Concern) like Xylene and Toluene as driers. The new UV curable stuff has no MOCs or VOCs and some that we rejected have the benefit that we could find no chemical with which we could strip the coating to allow rework to the boards.

I was thinking the there would be a personal safety benefit from the UV curable materials and they would be quite resistant to damage.

Unfortunately the stuff that we investigated for circuit board coatings is in the $1000 per gallon range which we can afford for our products, but is out of the question for pen making.

I have used it on tool handles and on a master plugs for casting molds. I have mentioned it once or twice hereabouts but apparantly I am an uninteresting fellow.

The resin I have used is the Sun Cure, Ding All Instant/Sanding Resin. It is produced and sold by SurfSource. They use it to make surfboards. It is Silmar 249b polyester resin with the Titanium Dioxide added by the guys at Surfsource. They even sell the additive separately if you want to experiment.
Their internet address is:
www.Surfsource.net

The first bottle I had I let sit for too long (it has a 6-9 month shelf life)and it had ambered, it still worked but it did have a yellowish tint when it cured. The new bottle I opened immediatley and started using on my newest set of masters. It cures perfectly clear.

With the Sun Cure resins, you have to give it the initial full blast of UV or direct sun for 10 sec or so, then move to difused location or turn down the UV. It will cure hard in minutes.

Full spectrum florescent spiral bulbs have worked great, so far, for producing a nice even light for curing. Don't put it on thick as it is not a thick casting resin and the TiO2 will build up some heat and cause the resin to crack. Should be perfect for using on PR pen blanks as they should have no chemical reactivity issues.

My last batch of pieces I was using to set up for my plugs I bagged them in ziploc bags so I could just roll and coat (sorta like a resin shake and bake), squeezed the air out and then exposed them in the bags, an hr later I returned and peeled the bags off, they were hard, but I set them back under the lamps to make sure they fully cured anyway.

Top Bottom