USS Wisconsin BB-64 Plank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

This is a plank from the off the deck of the battleship USS Wisconsin BB-64. The wood was removed from the original deck during 1987-88 reactivation.

Planks like this were given to former sailors from the state of Wisconsin who attended the recommissioning.

The plank is about 29" long X 2" thick X 3.75" at the top. I plan to make only a few pen blanks from it using the part of right of where someone used a hammer to on the board. The rest I will make a plaque with a name plate.

I am trying to figure out the best way to cut this up. I think the best way is square the plank up by removing the small pieces on the sides as indicated in photo 3. This will give me a 3.75" X 2" piece it cut the blanks. I have not measure where the hammer marks begin.

I am also looking for someone to engrave the below graphic on the pens. In am not sure with the silhouette is possible.

I am not offering any blanks at this time but will let everyone know if that changes.

Larry

Attachments

• USS Wisconsin Front.jpg
    USS Wisconsin Front.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 296
  • USS Wisconsin butt view.jpg
    USS Wisconsin butt view.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 375
  • USS Wisconsin butt view cutt.jpg
    USS Wisconsin butt view cutt.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 383
  • USS WISCONSIN LOGO FOR PEN.jpg
    USS WISCONSIN LOGO FOR PEN.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,270
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

As dark as the wood is, I don't know if the laser engraving will show up. I want to cover the pen with Teak Oil and nothing else so as time goes on, the wood willl become even darker.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
This is a plank from the off the deck of the battleship USS Wisconsin BB-64. The wood was removed from the original deck during 1987-88 reactivation.

Planks like this were given to former sailors from the state of Wisconsin who attended the recommissioning.

The plank is about 29" long X 2" thick X 3.75" at the top. I plan to make only a few pen blanks from it using the part of right of where someone used a hammer to on the board. The rest I will make a plaque with a name plate.

I am trying to figure out the best way to cut this up. I think the best way is square the plank up by removing the small pieces on the sides as indicated in photo 3. This will give me a 3.75" X 2" piece it cut the blanks. I have not measure where the hammer marks begin.

I am also looking for someone to engrave the below graphic on the pens. In am not sure with the silhouette is possible.

I am not offering any blanks at this time but will let everyone know if that changes.

Larry
woodturningz.com does laser engraving and you could ask them about this.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sorry folks, no USS Wisconsin blanks for sale.
My brother (USN April 1943 - January 1947)served as an EM3 on the Wisconsin in 1946 when she returned to Norfolk after her war years in the Pacific. His enlistment ended in January 1947 and the Wisconsin was his last duty station.

My ship USS Kenneth D Bailey DDR-713 was on one training exercise with her in 1957 and we were immediately behind her during anti-aircraft exercises. I never did get to go aboard her but did get to visit the USS New Jersey while it was being decommissioned in Bayonne NJ in 1957 - they were Awesome ships.

bobleibo

Not trying to hijack the USS Wisconsin thread, but recently someone posted a link to buy pieces of Teak from the USS Battleship New Jersey. I bought a few to give to Navy family members and make a couple of pens. Here's the link in case anyone is interested Battleship New Jersey

Top Bottom