USS California BB-44 Pen - Desire Pen Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

This pen was crafted using teak wood for the deck off the battleship USS California (BB-44) that was sunk at Pearl Harbor. The ship was refloated and dry-docked at Pearl Harbor for repairs. On 7 June, she departed under her own power for Puget Sound Navy Yard where a major reconstruction job was accomplished, including improved protection, watertight compartmentalizing, stability, antiaircraft battery, and fire control system.
She was placed in commission in reserve there on 7 August 1946, out of commission in reserve on 14 February 1947, stricken on 1 March 1959.

I purchased the wood from Tropical Exotic Hardwoods. When I tried to purchase more, someone bought the entire stock leaving me with a very limited supply left. The person who purchased the stock wanted to keep his / her name a secret and tried to purchase any stock others may have purchase from the vendor. As a result, I am not offering any of this wood for sell or trade.

Tropical Exotic Hardwoods: Checking out the USS California teak decking!

The pen kit is a Desire Stainless Steel Roller Ball. In the past, I would cover the wood with teak oil which darkened the wood. This time the wood was covered only with CA.

Attachments

• uss california pen desire.jpg
    uss california pen desire.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 308
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What a gorgeous pen, and what a keepsake ! Wish I could read all of the newspaper article underneath it.

Marko50

Awesome!

That, my friend, is a gorgeous pen! Great job and excellent story behind the wood. That's one of those that hard to give away, sell or trade! I would hang on to that one as one of my "personal collection"pens!:)

Fireengines

It is my new carry pen. I show it off all the time and to the younger folks I have to explain what Pearl Harbor was.

BSea

My absolute favorite pens are pens with a story. And this is one of the best.

I agree with you not selling or trading any of the stock. If it were me, I'd only let it go to someone who has a personal experience with that ship or a family member from a Pearl Harbor veteran.

Fireengines

Bob...

With one exception, they have all gone to family members who had service members at Pearl on Dec. 7th (battleships West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Tennessee). One went to a USS California crew member, the current Commanding Officer of the USS California (SSN-781), and a Marine Corp General whose father was a WW II Lingayen Gulf PT boat skipper (the California saw action there).

Finally, one went to my letter carrier upon his retirement forom the Navy Reserve.

I hope it is a gift that is passed down from one generation to another.

magpens

What a great story pen and I am sure your recipients cherish it.

It is my new carry pen. I show it off all the time and to the younger folks I have to explain what Pearl Harbor was.

I think it is a pity that the younger folks haven't, by some means, learned the significance of Pearl Harbor.

Rick_G

Turned out to be a great looking pen. I really like wood with a story of some kind behind it. I have a couple pieces of teak that came from a Norwegian sailing vessel that I use on pens that I give to Canadian Navy people I meet. Also have a little with family history that my dad carried around for 50 years and 4 moves. It gets used on pens for family only.

Top Bottom