Using CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Being from South Africa I had to ask the question some time ago "what is CA ?"
I am an old hand at wood turning but only recently started on pens. To be more precise, I started less than 2 months ago and only work on my lathe after hours i.e. late afternoons and weekends. I have only made 150 pens so far.
What bothers me is the use of CA as a finishing product. I started as a kid with woodwork under the guidance of my late father. He had a saying that if you paint or apply any coating to a product, you are hiding your mistakes!! Therefor I only aply either a special oil developed for the protection of solid wood furniture or alternatively clear wax floor polish.
In both cases it brings the natural grain and colour of the wood out.
Maybe I am wrong in this case that you aply CA because of your weather conditions, or is it to keep the pen together after finishing it???

Attachments

• 2013-04-19 21.50.27.jpg
    2013-04-19 21.50.27.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 196
  • 2013-03-14 20.45.39.jpg
    2013-03-14 20.45.39.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 2013-04-27 20.37.25.jpg
    2013-04-27 20.37.25.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeSquare

For me it's mainly to protect the wood, that and customers when they see a high gloss on something they are impressed. I will say I do finish some woods without CA because they are very dense/high oil content and usually just a little walnut oil takes care of them before I sand and buff them. Olivewood and Kingswood come to mind for those.

The only problem with oils or friction polishes, is over time they will wear down and it will need to be reapplied, and can even end up looking like a dirty smudge on the pen.

Hope that helps!

- Rich

plano_harry

Yes, 75 pens a month, part time, is considerable. As Rich said, the CA is for long term protection and you can't hide much under a crystal clear finish. At least in the US, shiny pens get more attention than oil or wax finishes. After a few months, the wax wears off and the pen looks dull = no reorders or reference sales.

Welcome to IAP!

Harry

SDB777

Welcome aboard!!!!

I sort of agree about your ideas on the CA, and I have been getting better sales of my non-CA pens lately. Hearing from people, "It is more like wood without the plastic on it."(and other things along the same lines)

2 Months and 150 pens....you have been busy!

Scott B

Well I am going to sound like a parrot here but I don't use any CA for finishing my pens. I have a posting up in the finishing forum about how I finish my pens. I don't feel that CA is any better or worse than any other finish but the fumes that are created are not good for you at all. I wonder what the verdict will be in 10 or 15 years after being exposed to them? I don't think it will be good at all but I don't know either. I know when you breath the fumes your body tells you it doesn't like it so why not listen to your body.

Mike is this what you are using on all these exceptional segmented pens? If so, I will have to try it. For sure!!! No CA fumes AND great finish!! Probably will anyway.

Reversible lathe? My 10X14 Jet was not born that way. But it is now. But I haven't Been able to find a DC delay device to hold it off a few seconds between directions. This to protect the board ,which would be gone in an instant if I forget to include the delay in my switching. If any one could suggest one this would be a great,easy, affordable mod for a lot of folks.
Up front thanks for your answer Mike. And all you eagerly contribute to our opportunities to do better. We are very fortunate to have a lot of folks like that. Thanks to all.

Last edited:

Sub Vet 10

ONLY 150!? I've been going two years and only have 29.
My FIL taught me and have always used CA on wood to seal and protect it, especially the inlay kits.

LagniappeRob

Top Bottom