used wrong bushing to make pen......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

howdy
Well last night after another senior moment, i spent a few hours making a pen with the wrong bushing set. Took me a while to figure out why nothing fit. So looking for a few tips.

lol....other than paying attention to what im doing. If all vendors have different size parts what system do you use to keep track of what goes with what. Like one storage container for each vendor with hardware..or...making sure i take my medication before i read instructions.

thanks...pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

Originally posted by pete00
<br />howdy
Well last night after another senior moment, i spent a few hours making a pen with the wrong bushing set. Took me a while to figure out why nothing fit. So looking for a few tips.

Happens to me all the time. Find a kit that will fit what you made.

Chuckie

Thumbs

Somebody here used old pill bottles on a rack above the lathe. Each bushing set had it's own labeled container! Seemed like a great idea to me!

pete00

thanks for the info....looks like lables and compartments are on the project list.
I'll put these "custom parts" in with all my other "custom parts"
to make........something.
pete

LanceD

Wal-Mart sells a storage box made by Sterilite. It's clear with a flip top fpr .94 cents each and perfect for separating your different kits. I keep bushings and drill bits for each kit in a separate box. I've got duplicate bits but there's no chance of me grabbing the wrong bit. Those tiny numbers stamped at the bottom of the bit get very hard to see.

2006414171713_bushingstorage.jpg

Heres a pic of those little containers that I think Peninhandrjg was referring too...

I use these for a lot of small parts storage. You can see whats in them, and if I need more clarification, I just write on the lid with a sharpie.

Jerryconn

I kepp mine in the plastic bag they came in as well.
Wonder why the folks at places like PSI, CSUSA, Berea, etc. cant print on the label what drill size/part # and bushing set part # is needed for the pen?

53Jim

I keep my bushings in the little bags they came in. I keep all my drill bits by the drill press. On my assembly bench I have a 3 ring binder with all the instructions in it.
Before I go to the DP, I check THE BOOK. I write the drill size on the blank, I check the bushing numbers before I drill, so when I get back from the DP/sander/penmill I can throw everything right on a mandrel.

It works for me, but than I am unique, just like everyone else.[:D]

clthayer

I made a similar mistake the other night. Though I had the correct busings for the euro that I turned, I had the ends swaped. So the nib end is the size of the round top and the top end is the size of the nib end. I'm thinking of trying to assemble it backwards just for fun since I glued the center band on already.[:0]

Charles

It does happen. Presently I keep mine in the plastic bags, However am collecting pill bottles and will convert as soon as I can. The book idea is good, I too keep a 3 ring binder with instructions for all kits with bit sizes, bushings, tube sizes etc, in plastic sheets and is on the bench for referal. I put this together after doing something similar to what you describe.

Randy_

Don Ward suggested using a metal shower curtain hook for each set of bushings and attaching some sort of tag with the name of the kit. He steadfastly refuses to identify the indivudual from whom he stole the idea!! [:D]

Right now, I just have mine in a butter tub in their original baggies; but as the collection grows, I will probably migrate to the shower curtain hooks. Getting bushings out if those little baggies without trashing the bags is a PITA!!

wayneis

I have three, three ring binders, one for CSUSA, one for Berea and one for misc. I use the metal boxs for bushings because I hate messing with the little baggies. One big tip for you newbies...Do Not put all of your bushings in one container like plastic boxs with partitions. You tip that box over and all of those little pieces of metal are all mixed up, I can't tell you how many times I have heard about people doing that.

Wayne

wayneis

Because they write it on the instruction sheet. This just makes me laugh, every time someone has a question about something like this someone comes up with one more thing that the Companies could do. Don't you think that we should take just a little control of our own lives. I mean maybe we want them to come visit and turn the pen for us to ;-) LOL I wish I had a nickle for everytime that I read another suggestion on what the Companies could do for us.

Wayne

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />I kepp mine in the plastic bag they came in as well.
Wonder why the folks at places like PSI, CSUSA, Berea, etc. cant print on the label what drill size/part # and bushing set part # is needed for the pen?

For the instruction sheets I use three ring binders like Wayne. I keep my bushings in plastic storage boxes with individual locking compartment lids that I got at Michaels. They're called Craft Mates.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=bd0049

2006415203219_bush_box1.jpg
<br />

at the dollar store I bought ice cube trays and label each compartment for the type pen the bushing fits and keep the bushings in the appropriate compartment. Ice cube tray fits in the drawer of my tool box. Three trays for a buck, not a bad deal and easy to keep straight.

KenV

You present a good argument for following the Dick Sing (and others) advise of using a calipers and the pen parts to set the diameter at the end. After making needle cases instread of pens on a small production run, I have become more active in the use of calipers. That way you never get surprised at the end after you no longer have the opportunity to make changes.

Been there - done that. Do not have an overwhelming desire to do it again.

KenV

P.S. Been meaning to get out the little vibratory engraver and mark the ends of the bushings (at least the bigger ones), but have not gotten there yet. I do have the cap ends of most of the bushing sets painted with nail polish though.....

Randy_

Originally posted by TerryBlanchard
<br />at the dollar store I bought ice cube trays and label each compartment for the type pen the bushing fits and keep the bushings in the appropriate compartment. Ice cube tray fits in the drawer of my tool box. Three trays for a buck, not a bad deal and easy to keep straight.

Apparently you did not read the earlier message?? Tip that tool box over or drop it and you will an real puzzle on your hands. Each set of bushings should be in their own "CLOSED" labeled container so a spill will not result in a disaster.

Let me define tool box, 5 feet tall and 44 inches wide, tip it over is not going to happen it is 200# empty and full of tools probably 600# so tipping it over is not going to happen. Yes, I did read the earlier message, and my comment to the question is how I take care of my bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom