Used Drill Bit to hold Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Howdy

I as well as a lot of folks use pin chucks, drill bits, rods, or any long straight thing to hold closed ends pens/goodies, while turning. They all seem to work ok, but this drill bit seemed to be a little better in holding my vase for some reason.

It’s a ¾ inch auger bit from home depot. Used Emperor bit 37/64 to make initial hole. Then this bit to get it to size for the plastic tube that holds the water and flower. Vase is about 3†x 6â€

After drilling, shaping and finishing the vase, it was time to clean off the side and bottom of base. Installed the chuck with the drill bit, slid the vase on, brought up the tail stock and cleaned up the side.

Started to work on the end and then added one of my oops center bands to give me a little more clearance to clean it up. Couldn’t find my smaller wooden dowel so I tried the CB, actually that worked as well.

Then it was time to pull the tail stock away and finish the base. As I turned on the lathe I noticed how smooth it was turning, hardly any wobble at all.

Why,
Not sure mabey, I’ve finally drilled a straight hole
It goes far enough in the vase to give better support and hold better.

The little tip on the end helps keep it center. At first I thought it was because the screw was biting and holding the wood, but the spinning vase is actually unscrewing from the bit.

Or I was just lucky.

So im not sure why, but if you get an opportunity try one, ya never know.

pete

20061227151457_drill%20bit%20DSC00726.jpg

20061227151556_vase%20drill%20DSC00725.jpg

20061227151624_cb%20drill%20DSC00728.jpg

20061227152021_finish%20vase%20DSC00734.jpg

bnoles

Pete,

Nice job and thanks for the tip. I really love weed pots and vase forms. What was your finish process? That really finished out quite well.

pete00

Originally posted by bnoles
<br />Pete,

Nice job and thanks for the tip. I really love weed pots and vase forms. What was your finish process? That really finished out quite well.

Thanks Bob
I didnt finish finishing the finish yet...lol
boy try that three times fast...

My finish of choice now a days is some minwax tung oil and Bulls Eye French Polish by Zinsser. I put it on with a wad of cheescloth. If i mess up and get streaks, ill run it on the lathe like you would friction polish. I try to do 4-5 coats of each

The one i did couple days ago came out pretty good.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20184

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom