USA vs the Union Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I have been working for hours attempting to replicate the Union Jack for my British and Australian friends. I always knew it's a real challenge because it is a precision double pour, but it turns out to be far more complicated than that! At a glance, the over all appearances of a USA flag vs a British flag, the USA seem more complicated. But the USA flag is packed full of repeatable images. You British people likely already know this but I and I imagine the majority of us non British flag countries don't realize that the Union Jack is not an x over a t. Ok..I do realize this...NOW, but I didn't until I started trying to program it and then came to realize it was all wrong and had to delete all my hard work. It's a very complicated design that is certainly boggling my mind a bit!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Here is an image of the Union Jack. Looking closely you can see how it's not just a simple x over t formation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 185

H2O

I'm not sure what is tripping you up. The design is repeated from corner to corner. I converted the raster image you posted into a vector image in less than five minutes. Then previewed the finished image output.
I'll see if I can post a picture for you. If you need any help or would like the file, let me know.

Keep in mind, the attached images are now raster(jpeg) again, so they will not appear crisp as they do in vector. I don't believe this forum supports svg.

Attachments

• A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 199
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

workinforwood

I don't use raptor images. What through me for a loop is the red angled stripes. The white angles are an x, but the red inside the white is off to one side kinda like blade tips of a throwing star. That is where I initially screwed up, as in my mind I was just seeing an x inside an x instead of what it really is. This feature made programming the g code much more challenging because they are not just copies of each other. In order to produce my product I can't just load in an image and press a button. And because this is red and white and blue, I must cut only the white, replace the white and then cut the red later, so I had to create two identical g codes on the exterior but on the interior make the white line code slightly larger to provide a safety net when setting up for the second cut.

Overall though, I just though it was interesting how this being one of the most popular flags in the world wasn't visually what I always thought it was. Whoever created it put in more work than just x's and a t or cross in the middle.

H2O

Unless you create the vector from scratch, you start from a raster image. I realize you most likely don't cut a raster image because the quality would be less than desirable. Most people don't write code any longer, but rather use a post processor to do the hard work. I'm not sure what cad/cam you use, but the vector file I have created, can be output to most any program for cutting.
On designing the vector, the quickest way, for me, is to create any one half of the image, mirror, and flip, then weld it at the center. The vector is finished. The design itself, is very simple.
I understand the process you are using. Start with a white material, cut the red pockets and cast in red. Then cut the blue pockets and cast in blue. A time saver might be to cut inlays and not have to cast several times or the time to re-align the part for a second cut. I'm sure you are running a fourth axis and using a wrap to cut the image and inlays can be done with that method using offsets/inlays(or whatever your software calls it) and just gluing the parts together.
I've never done what you are attempting, but that is my thoughts on saving time and material.

workinforwood

I do see what your saying now...if drawn on a grid just one half, the other half is a double flip of the first side. I missed that shortcut, I was pretty focused in one direction. I don't cut the blue, just the white and the red. It might save some material cost if it was done more like the laser guys as your suggesting but then it adds more labor time which rather negates the cost of materials. Labor is always the highest cost. Plus, I haven't ever done it that way before, where as the system I created now works flawlessly every time. I still suspect there's a ton of shortcuts in programming that I have no knowledge of that would still create the same exact product but more efficiently but I don't know them. I am completely self taught by trial and error and several more grey hairs. I only know the system I have concocted out of thin air.

Top Bottom