US Navy question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I may need to make a pen for the Captain, the XO, and the Chief Master Chief of a large navy ship. I'm thinking blue blank with the ships numbers and names lasered into them. What size of pen would be best? Would it be wrong to give 2 other navy people who are not on the ship the same pen and would it be wrong to give a civilian a similar pen? We are doing this to commemorate their visit. We really need to get this right. We will be seeing these people again. Thank you for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sekach

Chris, I would try to locate the ships crest/logo and put it on a beefy pen like a cigar or sierra and then something that links it to the port that they are visiting. For example, if they are visiting Vancouver than put the logo from the city's website on it as well and maybe the date. Very personalized for the specific date, the visiting ship and the visited port. If you need help finding the crest pm me with the details and I could try and help out. I have designed many navy-related personalized pens so I have some graphics you could use.....

Bob

AKBeaver

I take it your Command wants you to do some pens for a VIP Visit. I am thinking Cigar's or Serria's out of oak with the ships crest on a decal. Have their names and date of visit lasered on a case as wel as the pen. All should be the same other than the personalization.

Dave

jskeen

To my knowledge there is no requirement that a person actually have served on a navy ship to be presented with something with the ships name and number. What type of visit are we commemorating? Are they all coming to visit you? You going to visit the ship? Something in between?

But seriously, I don't see anything wrong with giving that type of pen to whoever you would like. I might suggest adding a small copy of the rank insignia of the military personnel if there is room and the laser person can manage it, but that's optional.

markgum

Hey Chris;
I would do something with a the Ships' Crest or slogan. Are the others there for the same ship arriving? If so I would say it would be fine. I wouldn't worry about the colour. The only blue I saw when in the navy was the deep blue ocean or the "Blue Angel's". Everything else was Haze Grey. As for the size, depends on what you are going to put on it. The Crest / slogan could be big enough you need to look at something like a Cigar or Majestic.
my 2 cents worth.

bkersten

I did it for the USS Gettysburg as a set of Sierras- one with the ships crest, and the other of the ship on manuevers at sea, printed on labels and then cast in PR. The card info of the crest explained all the symbolism of the crest, which was based on the Battle of Gettysburg

Attachments

• USS Gettysburg_IAP.jpg
    USS Gettysburg_IAP.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 150
It is the Nimitz. I don't cast and have never done a decal before so I'm not sure how that would go so at this point I like the slogan idea. Teamwork; a tradition. Time is tight, less than 2 weeks :redface: Good thing I work well under pressure. The only thing that worries me about the names is if anything goes wrong there is no time to recover. The ship is coming to us.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I may need to make a pen for the Captain, the XO, and the Chief Master Chief of a large navy ship. I'm thinking blue blank with the ships numbers and names lasered into them. What size of pen would be best? Would it be wrong to give 2 other navy people who are not on the ship the same pen and would it be wrong to give a civilian a similar pen? We are doing this to commemorate their visit. We really need to get this right. We will be seeing these people again. Thank you for your help.
I believe that would be "Command Master Chief" who would be the senior enlisted man aboard.

No, most navy ships have "ship" related (cigarette lighters, baseball caps, sweatshirts, T-shirts, etc) items they will sell to crewmembers who give them to family and friends as gifts.

Last edited:

scotirish

Chris: One more suggestion. Go to Woodturningz and get acrylic blanks of SOLID blue and gold. Cut the gold and insert in the blue so that the bottom (ink end) looks like the sleeve of their tunic. Other cutting and set-up will be required for the Master Chief.
Have fun.
Ron

Carrick

Another added touch would be to make the ink in the same color that they sign in. Traditionally the CO and XO sign in a different color then anyone else onboard. I was stationed in Everett on the INGRAHAM (FFG-61). My CO and XO signed in Blue and Green (respectively). So that's what I did my sets with. I did a pen and pencil EURO set in matching case with an engraved plate on the top of the case marking the occasion.

I also used the Surface Warfare Officer Pen clips from Woodpenpro. Hope that helps. If you got any more questions you can PM me...

woodgraver

I actually served on the NIMITZ and made pens for those that I developed a bond with, I would just make a comfort grip TN Gold pen with blue acrylic and then engrave their names, the ship logo and their rank in a nice wood pen box. Total cost to me was about $10, so pretty reasonable. A more spendy option was to make the segmented Stars and Stripes pen kits offered by www.kallenshaanwoods.com and put them in a nicer wood display box with the same engraving on the top.

Jim

leestoresund

I take it that these are commemorative and not for daily use.
You might consider an El Grande or Gent for the CO, Jr. Gent for the XO and Chief and a Triton or Baron for the others. Same info on each, just different "quality" to recognize difference in rank.
Also, the larger pens are easier to put more information on.
Seems to me these are NOT to be inexpensive cigars or sierras.

Of course, it you are worried about them rolling around in stormy seas you might consider the Reinhart and the Vertex.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

broitblat

I'm no expert, but I spent some time as a civilian contractor on a navy carrier and they had no problem with allowing me to buy items with the ships logo, etc.

The ship I was on (USS Coral Sea) has since been decommissioned and I was able to pick up a piece of oak recovered from the ship thanks to another IAP member, a while back, and I made myself a hybrid cigar with the ships logo and an image of the ship lazered on it.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=10761

I don't know what's available, especially on short notice, in terms of ship-related historic wood, but that's another thing to think about.

-Barry

Aerotech

Active Duty Navy Chief here and there are quite a few good ideas on this thread. I make quite a few pens using woodpenpro's custom clips and they are very popular. Be careful with the warfare devices though, there is a qualification required to wear the device. If you shop arizonasilhouette the elegant american on page 4 adds an option to the european pen for using the custom clips, and trust me, the CMC loves his anchors(E9). if you shop woodcraft the same pen is called the hart double twist. uses the easyflow parker refills very nicely. i use ash in my pens for the Chief's because its very close in color to khaki and we pride ourselves on moving out of our blue shirts and into the khaki ones. officers are a bit different, they wear khaki's also but those would not have the gold stripes mentioned in an earlier post. only the dress uniform would have those unless you are referring to hash marks and in order to do those you would have to know how long they have been in the navy. one for every 4 years. well, i think this post is confusing enough, i hope it helps and good luck. to be honest though, they are navy, they will love just about anything hand made. the effort means more then most.

Found out what colors they use, I think the only way I can get a piece of the ship is to slip aboard and steal a table. I don't think that is such a great idea. The higher ups want something more classy daily driver than fancy will spend it's life in a box kind of pen. Does the hardware have to be gold? It can be difficult to get TI gold in some kinds of kits. Should I try to stay with a 8mm tube or how much bigger could I go 3/8? I like the ash and anchors idea for the Chief's pen. Now just how to implement it.

Top Bottom