US Army

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

My nephew was recently promoted to E& in the US Army - been to Afghanistan and other places. I would like to make a pen for him - can some one point me to the best place to get US Army blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Hobby Lobby ....

Decal printing set comes with clear and white backed decal paper + printer software (if needed) ... just need an inkjet printer or access to a local print shop. I would choose the clear unless your base material (more on that later) clashes too much.

After that, go online and get some stuff to print .... perhaps the symbol for his battalion, division, or unit? Include name, rank, date promoted, rank symbol, whatever is desired... print a small range of sizes to see what fits best on your pens.

Now ... base material ... since you're applying a decal, it can be some fairly plain stuff like maple or poplar. Anything with a nice bright background for the decals to stand out on will work great! White or yellow plastics work also .... as does visibility green or orange. Sometimes using such bright colors on a battlefield would be questionable, it should mostly be hidden in a pocket, and as a soldier he should know when to keep it under wraps for safety.

Last, to keep that decal in place and increase the longevity and durability of the pen, applying a CA finish over the entire barrel + decals not only keeps the decals from peeling, it also keeps them from wearing off or possibly fading. Finish up with micromesh and polish OR take it up to only 8000 grit micromesh for a NON-REFLECTIVE matte finish.

jttheclockman

Many ideas out there from ammunition shells with laser engraving. To inlay kits to decals.

When I get my bearings going again into pen making I will be doing some military clock part pens. Just another suggestion if anyone wants to try.

jimm1

I make this blank. I just casted two of them for the bolt action.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 192

MTViper

Keith,

Try Pen Kit Mall: Products | PEN KIT MALL

I made my son and his Sgt Major each one of the MDF pens. Says "U.S. Army - Defending Freedom since 1775". They loved it, sold another Army and a Marine pen in the MDF series as well as several Air Force. They fit any of the bolt action pens. I chose to put them on the Bald Eagle Bolt Action from PSI, just think it's a really classy blanks.

Steve

PapaTim

Keith, thank your nephew for his service, he's a true American hero.

MTViper, thanks for that link. I see they have officially licensed Marine Corps blanks too. Guess I know what my Marine grandson is getting from me for Christmas.

MTViper

MTViper, thanks for that link. I see they have officially licensed Marine Corps blanks too. Guess I know what my Marine grandson is getting from me for Christmas.

Tim,

They have Army, Navy, Marine, and Air Force. They even sell them in a pack of 4 with one of each. I've made and either given away or sold each of them. They really look nice on a bolt action kit, any color.

Steve

Top Bottom