Urchin Christmas ornaments....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russell Eaton

Russell Eaton

I saw a demo at the GAW meeting last month and this is what we learned to make. They are fun and don't take too long. The largest one is right at 4' tall and both are finished with spray lacquer. Enjoy and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking. Russell

Attachments

• IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 343
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Interesting way to utilize shells....hmmmm

Do you have to cut them to get them squared up, or anything?

The finals just glued on, or something I'm not able to see in the photo?

Great shape to both!

Scott (Florida folks would love em) B

Russell Eaton

Scott the top and bottom already have a hole in them. I just used a 45 degree stone wheel to "clean" a good shoulder and a good glue point. Then the top and bottom finial have a hole drilled in it for a tooth pick and use that to keep the 2 pieces aligned correctly. The top and bottom finial both have a 45 degree angle cut so they fit the urchin with enough glue to hold the whole thing together. When it is glued up it fits together close enough that you can't see the tooth pick. Hope this helps. Russell

airborne_r6

You can also make a long tenon on one of the finials that glues into the other. Make the tenon longer than needed and then trim it down while dry fitting everything.

Justturnin

So funny, I was staring at my wifes shells this morning and she has about 10 of these and I thought about trying this. Small world. Granted mine would not accomidate 4' of turnings glued to them.:biggrin:

PenMan1

Nicely done, Russell. But then, I wouldn't expect anything less than prefection from you!

Just out out curosity, are they 4" or 4 '?

God knows, you've got the lathe to make a 4' Christmas tree ornament. Just wondering if Macy's called wanting to "jazz up" the 100 foot Tree and Pink Pig, this year?

Last edited:
Top Bottom