Update on my little bother

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

I asked for advice a while ago from cancer survivors, so that I could better understand my brothers situation and hoped to understand how I might talk to him about the disease. The responses you gave me were very good and very touching. Thank-you for the help.

I'm saddened to say that he will be released to hospice in the next couple of days. His one year (April 13, 2007 diagnosis) battle will be over soon. He has been unable to eat for over a week and is living on electrolytes and nutrients given intraveniously. He has a morphine patch and is getting morphine injections as well.

He turned 48 on March 30, 2008, then went to the hospital for the last time two days latter. If you are nearing 50 and your doctor suggests a colonoscopy to check colon health, DO IT!!!!According to a little internet research, more than 6 people die of colon cancer each hour in the USA. Please pay attention to your body and see a doctor if you have ANY sign of blood. My brother thought he had hemroid problems for a "couple of years". Don't make the same mistake, please. The preperation for the colonoscopy is worse than the procedure. Don't put it off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ericw95

Two years ago I lost my brother to brain cancer. To this day, I still hold onto the memory I have of visiting him 3 months before his death. Remember the good times - it may bring tears but it will also bring a smile and warm your heart.

wudnhed

I am so sorry to hear this.........so sad. Please know that I will be thinking about your brother and saying a prayer for him to be as comfortable as possible. Bless you all....

Dario

Sorry to hear this...I just hope you (both) had all the chances to share all your thoughts and feelings by now.

Prayers are coming your way.

Woodlvr

I am sad to hear this. I lost an uncle to pancreatice cancer 1 week before thanksgiving after finding out 11o days before he passed. Your advice is very good and I hope that we all listen. My daughter passed away from cancer at 15 yrs old and losing our loved ones like this is hard on all of us. Your brother and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

low_48

How did I misspell brother in the title? How stupid, guess I'll mark it up to time of night and frame of mind. It did bring a rememberance to mind though. He is 8 years my junior, and when I was starting to drive, he was only 8 years old. He would ride the bus over to the high school and I would have to go get him off the bus and we would go over to my car to go home. I guess I thought it wasn't too cool to have my little kid brother tagging along, so I would walk my usual quick pace and he would have to run along behind. The principle would call him "my shadow" as he tagged along. That was 40 years ago.:(

We have been talking alot about old times, and we hug and tell each other we love each other every two days now. The crowds of friends will probably get bigger when he gets home. With a big family gathering last Sunday, he said he had a very nice day, and slept the best for a long time that night. The simple pleasures are the best.

He does know how much he is loved now, by family and friends. He always had a kinda low self esteem. He worked so hard in school to overcome dislexia. Maybe that is what his spirit needed to learn on this journey. Thanks so very much for all the thoughts and prayers.:)

Radman

My thoughts and prayers are immediate for your brother and acceptance of your family in this difficult time. May God hold him close to his chest.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Richard, I too am sorry to hear about your brother. I and lift all of you in in prayer.

Thanks for the warning on the colonoscopy. I hope people list to you. I know the procedure quite well as I have to have a colonoscopy each year due to considerable new polyps now. None of my family on either side have had a lot of polyps. Don't take this lightly.

Top Bottom