Unplated kits . . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Since the vast majority of pen turners have no way to plate the components and since the kits are ordered in large bulk quantities from Asia I think it is highly unlikely that you will find kits that are not plated. You can, however, buff off the 24kt gold from a number of the manufacturers' kits.

emackrell

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br /> You can, however, buff off the 24kt gold from a number of the manufacturers' kits.

Yes, very easily. Whether you intended to or not. DAMHIKT...[:I]

cheers Eileen [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ah, yes, Eileen is getting experience!!!!!!!!!

Tried to make the finish just a little better on the wood and created partially silver fittings, eh?????
BTDT!!!

emackrell

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Ah, yes, Eileen is getting experience!!!!!!!!!

Tried to make the finish just a little better on the wood and created partially silver fittings, eh?????
BTDT!!!

I like to think of it an an op test on my buffing system in field conditions. [;)]

cheers Eileen [8D]

redfishsc

A good soak in MEK or Acetone will likely remove the clear coat, but buffing is quicker and cheaper in the long run, not to mention safer on the hands and lungs.

It would seem to me that the clear would need to come off first unless the clear WAS a powdercoat. If it was just epoxy it might burn.

cozee

Why would you want them unplated?

I like nekked things!![:D]

I not only want to do some powder coating (if I can get my ol' rig up and running again!!) but I also want to do some plating. I'd prefer raw pieces as opposed to adding plating on top of plating. All else fails, I can simply reclaim the gold finishes after the clear coating has been stripped and strat from scratch that way.

Just wanting to play around experimenting. My basement hasn't been nicknamed "The Dungeon" for nothing!!

cozee

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />
Originally posted by cozee

I like nekked things!!......Just wanting to play around experimenting. My basement hasn't been nicknamed "The Dungeon" for nothing!!

You're starting to scare me, Greg![:0]

Naaaaaw, nothing to get scared about. Just think of me as another Grandpa Munster!!!!!

Muuuuwaaaahahahaaaa hah ah choke cough cough!![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom