Universal Lathe Belt for Pen Lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harpazo

Well, almost universal anyway... If you have a small lathe that needs a new 1/4" (4-5mm or so) belt I found this idea on YouTube and now my otherwise useless lathe is working again.

Although I found a few vendors in the USA that could provide what I needed the price was prohibitive. After all, it was just plastic tube that I needed and they only offered them in short lengths at a very high price. I found a guy in China who shipped me several feet for under $10.

The YouTube video showed the pitfalls and how to join the tubing to form a belt with a hot knife. I practiced the "welding" technique before wasting any significant length and in 30 minutes I felt confident to fix my lathe.

So, I fished the replacement tubing material over the lathe pulleys and brought the two loose ends together and welded it. My lathe uses two drive belts so I had another to do. The second belt ended up a tad-bit tighter but it's all working like new and I'm back to turning pens on it.

If anyone needs more info I'll try to post answers as I am able.

Harpazo

This is a decent instructional video. Here's my personal tips to consider while watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTBaUcVBqqc

1. If the melted plastic has ANY soot on it the weld will not hold. Use less heat.
  2. Perform the weld operation with belt installed on the lathe. You just want to close the loop to make the belt.
  3. Taking the lathe apart, for me at least, was not necessary.

If you try this let me know. Good luck!

Top Bottom