United Arab Emirates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
A friend wants some pens to use as gifts in UAE.

Does anyone have any experience with tastes in wood or pen types in this region of the world?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hayseedboy

Just jack the prices to 4 times what you would normally charge. Then tell them it is the speculators fault and that milk is about the same price as gas per gallon.

sdemars

How about a Corian Freedom Pen . . . made with a .223 cartridge . . . .you could accent it with some sand cast into a band . . . a two hump camel clip would be nice also . . .

Actually they do burn camel chips like wood . . . maybe you could make it out of camel chips . . . CA on top of course . . . .

les-smith

I think any type of palm would go over good. Also, I think any exotic burl would do well. Desert Ironwood Burl, Cocobolo burl, Amboyna burl & two tone, Rosewood burl.

Also, I think the Earth resin blanks would go over well. Give them the a name like Palm Island blank/pen or Ocean (Gulf) blanks/pen or some beach name over in that area.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I have sold pens to people in the United Arab Emirate (see Peter"s comments on the testimonials page of my website).

There are no woods of significance in the UAE. When selecting material for a pen, keep in mind that the UAE has the highest per capita income of any country in the world. That does not mean you can charge outrageous prices, although they are extremely fair in their financial dealings. They will shop your price if you appear to be gouging. Let's face it, everyone knows they are wealthy and many try to take advantage of that. I find that what they are really looking for is the highest quality of work in remarkable materials and that they will pay a fair, even generous price for the right article.

I have sold pens from Irish bog oak, cocobolo burl, rosewood burl, amboyna burl, big leaf maple burl and others.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I have sold pens to people in the United Arab Emirate (see Peter"s comments on the testimonials page of my website).

There are no woods of significance in the UAE. When selecting material for a pen, keep in mind that the UAE has the highest per capita income of any country in the world. That does not mean you can charge outrageous prices, although they are extremely fair in their financial dealings. They will shop your price if you appear to be gouging. Let's face it, everyone knows they are wealthy and many try to take advantage of that. I find that what they are really looking for is the highest quality of work in remarkable materials and that they will pay a fair, even generous price for the right article.

I have sold pens from Irish bog oak, cocobolo burl, rosewood burl, amboyna burl, big leaf maple burl and others.

I have some Mallee and Amboyna Burl lying about that I may use. I may make a mix of Rollers, Fountains and Ballpoints. Thanks for the insight.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Jerry,

I have a bit of both Black and Red Palm, I just have not worked up the courage to deal with them yet. Everything I've ready suggests that they take a great deal of patience and CA to do.

Jerry,

I have a bit of both Black and Red Palm, I just have not worked up the courage to deal with them yet. Everything I've ready suggests that they take a great deal of patience and CA to do.

Palm's not too bad to work with.. just be sure your tools are sharp <repeat> sharp.. the dust coming off the blanks will be almost like sand.

I actually had a piece once that was large enough to make a pepper mill from... had a tough time getting a smooth finish... but sold it on the first showing.

Top Bottom