Understanding Carbide Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am new and mostly turn pens and bottle stoppers. Have looked at the Capt Eddie site. From I am understand the R2 radius cutter is what most use for acrylic and cast blanks. What is the straight square cutter used most on? What do you recommended to use on wood. Especially some very
hard black walnut? What is the round cutter used for?
Thank you--I really appreciate all the help on this site.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Ron, the two inch radius is my favorite for everything, The large round cutters are also good if you can control them, I have a hard time with the 18mm round , getting a smooth non wavy surface, but for doing the inside of a bowl they are beyond fantastic. Carbide cuts great, for wood pens, I would recommend staying away from the square inserts get something with at least a 4 inch radius, otherwise, the sharp corners of the square inserts will dig in, I like them for roughing bowls and that's all.

Steve Busey

What ken said - the straight cutters are useful for taking a raw, out-of-round blank and shaping it - I use plunge cuts when I do it.

The curved bits allow you to do a finish cut, since the arc allows just a fine, controllable, single point of contact with the wood.

HTH

SecretGman

Same for me as above, R2 for 90% of the work. Only time I use the straight cutter is for rough shaping using plunge cuts. The R2's are fantastic for acrylic.

-Chris

plano_harry

I prefer the R2. Tried the R4, seemed a llittle harder to handle - I probably just need more practice.:rolleyes:

I find rounding and roughing easier with the cutting edge tilted about 30-45 degrees from horizontal, like using a skew. Less chipping and chattering that way. (Especially if the blank is over $10!) :eek: I drop down flat for finish cuts.

I would like to know if others are doing the same.

Harry

wood-of-1kind

The 'round' carbide inserts are the most 'forging'' and would recommend those to a novice turner. Using them helps to avoid 'catches'. They work effectively on both wood and plastics. No problem at all to handle walnut.

corian king

I have the "Rotondo" That I got from Peter,wood-of-1-kind. I use the 18mm round cutter for 95% of all my turnung.including aluminum and I love it..

1080Wayne

Harry

I also use my R4 carbide in the same manner as a skew .

I find rounding and roughing easier with the cutting edge tilted about 30-45 degrees from horizontal, like using a skew. Less chipping and chattering that way. (Especially if the blank is over $10!) :eek: I drop down flat for finish cuts.

I would like to know if others are doing the same.

Harry

Top Bottom