Undersize drill bit for Spring blossom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gallianp

Spring Blossom Rollerball Pen Kit
Drill Bit required -- 14.5mm"

when drilled the blank hole is just too small for the tube!

I forced the tube into the hole and split the blank.
I re-drilled the hole into another blank still too small.
I mic the drill and bit it is just too small for the tube.

I did make it work by putting sandpaper on a dowel rod - then on the lathe and rimed the blank hole until the tube slid in with ease.

I have never seen this have you?

paul

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Originally posted in wrong forum -- can not delete --------------

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dee-Dee

Paul, do me a favor and mic the bit and the tube and let me know what the measurements are. I have a stock of 14.5 bits and will do the same. You might have a over sized tube or undersized bit. Also try a different wood just for kicks to see if the tube will go in.
I will replace the bit or the kit what ever it takes to fix the situation if you bought them from me and I think you might have.Dee for Roy

Soup

Not that this will help, but have you measured the bit with a micrometer? The only reason That I ask is that when I first started, I was making some slimline pens, and the Colt 7mm bit that I bought was actually a 8 mm bit. It was stamped and packaged as a 7 mm bit. I could not for the life of me figure why I had so much slop when inserting the tubes into the blanks. The guys at Woodcraft were as shocked as I was when I brought the bit back in and made it up to me, even though it was not their fault.

jttheclockman

What kind of material was the pen, please?

Amboyna Burl -- it was real dry

Never force a tube in a hole. I hope you learned that one. How do you get glue on it?? Sometimes one has to use their heads abit.

If this ever happens again, measure the tube and measure the bit. If the 2 do not match there is a problem. Now you have to be worrried about the kit parts as well. Do the parts fit the tube without a hammer??? Contact the seller and let the process play out there first.

Has it happened before. Yes and on other kits as well. In fact someone had a problem with a cigar kit and the same thing but this wa on adifferent site.

Last edited:

gallianp

John T. You need to be a little more obtuse !

You wrote
"Never force a tube in a hole. I hope you learned that one. How do you get glue on it?? Sometimes one has to use their heads abit."

Also you need to use your head and learn to spell!
I will give you one that I did learn -- most on this forum are very nice people.

jttheclockman

John T. You need to be a little more obtuse !

You wrote
"Never force a tube in a hole. I hope you learned that one. How do you get glue on it?? Sometimes one has to use their heads abit."

Also you need to use your head and learn to spell!
I will give you one that I did learn -- most on this forum are very nice people.

Well sir I meant no disrespect. But let me ask you when was it ever a good thing to force something to make it work. Sometimes we have to step back and use out heads a bit. If you start forcing things when working around tools you are just asking for problems that could hurt you. That goes for all aspects of life. In my line of work I have seen countless times of people forcing something to make it either fit or work and nothing ever good comes out of it.

If that one point sticks out and you remember it then you can associate my name to it:biggrin:

As far as spelling goes guilty as charged and will be for the next time too.

I do really need to add more smiley faces to my posts. I keep forgetting that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom