Ultra Sonic Cleaners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mototrev

Anyone had experience with ultra sonic cleaners?

and the different cleaning agents used?

There seems to be a myriad of different models out there ranging in price from $35 au to....well the sky's the limit.

Remember we're 240v at 50 htz.

I wonder if they make cleaning small parts like nibs and feeds any easier?

:):):)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I use one constantly (heated) and I use a perfume free liquid laundry soap. About a teaspoon to the tub. I add a slop of Ammonia if its really greasy or dirty to remove polishing compounds. I have moved to a water soluble polishing compound so I dont add ammonia often.

GilF

Ultrasonics

I have two ultrasonics, a smaller one that holds about a gallon and a much larger one that holds 8 gallons. They work great for cleaning a variety of parts. I have not tried any pen parts yet.

I use a solution that includes Dawn dishwasher detergent and Simple Green. They are great for cutting grease and are cheap to use. I have also used some of the more expensive cleaning solutions and don't think they are worth the difference.

OZturner

At my son's Dental practice, we had to buy one recently to replace one that went to heaven.
The size they mention on the add, is not the actual size of the unit, it is less. e.g 3 litre unit holds say 2.1 litre.
I can't recall the actual difference but I know we had to order one considerably larger that we thought we would need, to get an acceptable capacity.
They use the unit for cleaning instruments prior to autoclaving.
Brian.

frank123

I've used a small one with either dish wash liquid or regular ultrasonic cleaner for nibs, pen bodies, and other small parts. Works very well in cleaning fountain pen nibs that have dried out and clogged up.

Used with citric acid it also cleans pistol and rifle brass (for reloading) better than anything else I've used, even the primer pockets come out perfectly clean.

mototrev

Thanks for the hints.....

.....Didn't realise that heating was so important
Ended up with a 2 Lt. unit with a heater.
During my research I found that the work best when the fluid is at 80% of boiling point...this is when the fluid has the least oxygen or gas.

Trev-(R)

Top Bottom