Ultra Modified Cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

Jeff Powell asked in another post about modifying a cigar pen and this is what I came up with .
This is an Ultra modified cigar pen in corain and acrylic , it is operated by twisting the finial on top . This one slowed me down abit , there were several problems to overcome with this design , but it was a ball figuring it out .

1_ultramodcigar.jpg

As always , comments are welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Hey Butch, were you able to overcome the possible problem of the clip scratching the finish as you operate the pen? That's the only thing holding up my version.

W.Y.

Real nice looking pen Butch.

What was the size of the corian blank you made it from.
I have another 50 corian blanks to pick up at the post office tomorrow but they are all 1/2" x 1/2" and just suitable for slimlines and modified slimlines and comfort pens etc. .

If you glued some together to make that pen, what kind of glue did you use ?

W.Y.

igran7

Dang Butch, that is a sweet looking Cigar. I think the bar is way out of reach at this point. Wonderful concept and execution, as always another beauty!

ldb2000

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the kind words everyone , and a special thanks to Jeff (workinforwood) for giving me the idea in the first place .
This is my new favorite pen , it has a real nice weight and feels great to write with . I have big hands and it fits just right .
Doing regular kit pens was beginning to get a little boring and even working with new materials it was becoming the same old grind , then I started with these modified and ultra-modified pens and the true kitless pens and it got exciting again , they are a challenge to figure out and even more of a challenge to do .
Even if you don't think you can do it , you really should give them a try , they are an absolute ball to do and when your done you have a pen that is unique and one you can truly call YOURS not some kit manufacturers .

Mike , the clip problem is a non-issue , the clip is part of the body and just the finial twists .

Ryan , yes the finial is made of some acrylic I had and was shaped on the lathe .

William , the Corian is some that a friend gave me , he has a kitchen remodeling company and he gave me a bunch of cut-offs he had after a job . I'm going to give him a couple of pens made with it in hopes he will remember me after the next job (I'm hoping for some jet black) , it was 1/2" thick and I glued it up using thick CA .

Jeff , yes just the finial twists .

Joe , I had to do something different just to keep up . :biggrin:

For anyone interested I have posted a basic explanation of how I did it in the advanced penturning forum in the Modified cigar thread posted by Jeff (workinforwood)

Shameless plug :bananen_smilies068:
One last thing , I'm still running the Kitless Challenge in the Advanced pen turning forum , Please go check it out and maybe even contribute your own example of a kitless slimline .

Top Bottom