88.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Walnut 14h.jpg
    Walnut 14h.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 107
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

Doesn't look ugly to me!

Nice job filing the voids with epoxy.
It started off really that way with quite a bit of rotting with a few embedded nails. Hence the outside with with the filler. There was a big rotted area on the inside. Fortunately, it all came out leaving what you see. I really didn't think it was going to be saved.

jrista

It started off really that way with quite a bit of rotting with a few embedded nails. Hence the outside with with the filler. There was a big rotted area on the inside. Fortunately, it all came out leaving what you see. I really didn't think it was going to be saved.
Personally, I always love a piece of wood with bark inclusions, holes, rotted out bits, etc. Once you take out all the junk, its perfect for resin fill.

I picked up this raddy looking piece of California Cottonwood with a whole bunch of this raddy, nasty, fibrous bark. It was still a bit green, and I was having trouble getting the bark off, so I left it for about a year. A few months back, I pulled it out and the bark was just coming off in these weaves of fiber. Pulled it all out, and lo and behold it had some great burl spires behind the bark, and some excellent places for resin fill.

Ugly wood is the BEST WOOD! ;)

Top Bottom