U-Beaut Hard Shellac

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

raltenhofen

I keep a low profile on the pen turner sites mostly because somebody inevitably asks, or has asked, the question I have. But there is a product that I never seen come up in any discussion. That is U-Beuat's Hard shellac.

Has anyone used this on pens? The description on thier website sounds like it would be the right stuff for pens.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I looked at all they have to say about it on their website, Richard. It appears that they recommend a coat of non-hardened shellac first, then several coats of this polymerized shellac. I can't see a lot of difference between this and a shellac finish followed by several coats of lacquer--other than they say it takes 20 days for their hard shellac to cure.

I've done a couple of pens with the 'new' Bulleyes French Polish. So far, I'm impressed. It puts on a nice sheen and deliberate rough handling right off the lathe isn't messing up the finish. It'll take more testing, but so far, so good.
ken

raltenhofen

The thing that attracted my attention was the claim to polymerize. That should result in a more durable finish. (And of course I shhould have posted this in the Finishing discussion. Oops.)

I have not seen this product advertised in the US.

Thanks for all the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom