Tzu-t'an emperor half of it anyway

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rarest wood

Rarest wood

Ime waiting on the dreaded 37/64 drill bit which is a pain to get here in the uk since we joined europe. Anyway this is the first half of an emperor finished in CA in a very cold work shop something which I dont advise as it took ages to geta half decent finish timber is the wonderful Tzu-t'an the price is on the auction catalogue:biggrin:
I guess this is my first pen to be shown on the IAP got to start somewhere eh!

Attachments

• Tzu-t'an emperor.jpg
    Tzu-t'an emperor.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Well that just showed me which of your woods I will be ordering next. i gotta get this next group buy ordered and mailed and see if I have any money left.

Rarest wood

David, I've been waiting for the lacquer to cure on mine just hope its as nice as yours, well done .

ime interested in your lacquer how do you do it?
I took off all the ca today off the tzutan pen with acetone as it started to bloom reason was all that coldness i think any way i refinished it with french polish (handy to know how i think as it is more tolerant of the cold. it is refinished now and just gave it a coat of mylands wax BTW I happen to know John myland is a freind of mine he got me my appreticeship all those years ago he is a top gent and his products are all quality too so i am reccomending them to yer all:biggrin: i get my 37/64 bit on monday or saturday heres hoping and will finish the pen asap and post

marcruby

I'd be tempted to try Waterlox as a finish. It's pretty wear resistant and takes a nice polish. The drawback is that you can only apply one coat a day. I think Russ once suggested that 12 coats would be about right.

Marc

Rarest wood

I wonder what is equivalent to waterlox is in the uk? I though about french polish as for me it is easy and sympathetic to the zitan i use clear shellac not then button polish or garnet polish which is ruby red or brown as the zitan is quite dark already. I think if anyone is doing the high end blanks in nice kits you need to give yourself plenty of time and dont rush the things Ille take this to a church meeting tonight and see what other folk thing about the finish(am I allowed to say church?):biggrin:

marcruby

Waterlox is a tung oil finish (note that tung oil is a Chinese finish all on its own). They add mineral spirits, some resins, and God knows what else to make it woodworker friendly. It's my standard bowl finish.

Marc

Top Bottom