two pens from exoticblanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from esears

esears

The first one is a shredded currency blank on a black titanium baron kit. I painted the tubes a dull grey and after seeing it in the end, it matches my ACU (Army Combat Uniform) quite nicely. Closest thing I've seen to a digital camoflage in a pen yet.

moneypen.JPG

This second pen is their alternate briar pen that was thrown in the box as a freebie. When I got it, my 1 year old chipped the end of it off, so I had a spare cutoff from a previous pen of Irish Bog Oak that I didn't want to waste. So I added that in instead of the standard Euro style end cap.

briarbog.jpg

Both pens were turned primarily with a skew (I'm really trying to concentrate on using just this to practice, its amazing what a sharp skew can do) and finished to 12k MM, a CA finish to smooth them out, and Ren. wax to finish.

There is a bit of wax left in the grooves of the Irish Bog Oak that I'm having a heck of a time trying to get out. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm still working on the photography stuff. I think the top picture came out much nicer, but it was also taken outside in natural light as opposed to indoors with a flash.

Thanks for any comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMadore

The first one is a shredded currency blank on a black titanium baron kit. I painted the tubes a dull grey and after seeing it in the end, it matches my ACU (Army Combat Uniform) quite nicely. Closest thing I've seen to a digital camoflage in a pen yet

I guess you and I wear pretty much the same uniform... Good to know that we could hide in a bank if we needed to! ;)

Love that money pen.

Cheers!

Gary

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice work, Eric!!

If you use RenWax, you can get the wax kind of warm and it will "melt". So, use a clean cloth on the lathe and that's the easiest way (sometimes you need to put a fold in the rag to fit the slit). Once it's off the lathe, I guess I would try to use a toothpick with a cloth to remove it.

Different approach (mixing wood and resin) but a nice result!!

Top Bottom