Two out of Three ain't bad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from igran7

igran7

I picked up all three blanks from Bill at A.S. I guess you never know what your gonna get until the wood reveals itself.

First Pen is a Statesman made with Spalted Curly Mango

Second pen is a Gentlemen's made with Blue Dyed Black Ash Burl

Third pen is supposed to be a Double Dyed Red & Black Box Elder Burl that didn't turn out like I had expected/hoped. It is truly one of the ugliest pens I've made in awhile.

Customer requested all three woods, but I pretty much know how the last one won't pass the mustard, so it'll probably get dissassembled by morning.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Paul Sloboda 002.jpg
    Paul Sloboda 002.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 218
  • Paul Sloboda 003.jpg
    Paul Sloboda 003.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Paul Sloboda 007.jpg
    Paul Sloboda 007.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Paul Sloboda 011.jpg
    Paul Sloboda 011.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Paul Sloboda 012.jpg
    Paul Sloboda 012.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Paul Sloboda 015.jpg
    Paul Sloboda 015.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Paul Sloboda 018.jpg
    Paul Sloboda 018.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 280
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

I think they all are great pens , even the red one . Don't ruin that red blank if you take it apart . Try it on a Black Ti kit instead . That blank has allot of character .
Superb finish on all .

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Joe,

I agree with Butch (mainly because he's my hero :))

Dyed and double dyed woods are a bit of a craps shoot and you never know what you will get. Show it to the customer and see what he thinks. Personally, I like it. (Of course, I am a New Orleans Saints fan, so what do I know?? :confused:)

VisExp

I think you're right Joe, two out of three look great :biggrin: As you say, you never know what you're going to get, that's part of the fun. More often than not it's a pleasant surprise.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Don't do anything too hasty .. that third pen might just be one of those things
that grows on you. You might not like it this week, but see how it feels next week.

igran7

Thanks guys for the encouragement, but it looks better in the picture than it does in person (if thats possible). About the only think it has going for it, is it has a pretty decent finish.

Oh by the way Cav, Butch is everyone's hero.

tim self

I like all 3 to be honest. And #3 is nice, try another kit in it and it should pop. And if not, maybe you can save it for next years ugly pen contest. You'll be surprised what you may win. I did :>

S

spiritwoodturner

I'm with the majority here. I like all 3. Even the last one. I've never seen anything quite like it, and I like different. If the customer doen't like it, someone will. Like me!

Dale

garypeck

actually.....my favourite is the 3rd pen...... i like the reddish pinkish bits ......

But all 3 are great!!!

broitblat

I think all three are spectacular blanks, and you've made great pens from them. I'll admit the red in the last one doesn't completely work for me, but I really like the figure in that blank and still think it is a great result.

-Barry

Top Bottom