Two new small lathes from grizzly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Okay, I know not everyone is interested in the small midi sized lathes, I even upgraded recently myself to a floor model. But when I was flipping through the new Grizzly catalog I noticed two new midis they are offering.

They already had one that was comparable to the non-VS jet/delta/psi turncrafter pro in the G0624. A 10" swing, 15.5/38" between centers model.

But now they have a VS 10x16 model in the G0657. This should campare nicely to the other VS models out there. at $295 it's not the cheapest, but it's a start. The pic looks like it can take an extension but it's not mentioned.

And they put one up on the compitition in the G0658. A VS 12x20 model. "But Jet already makes a 12x20 don't they?" Yes, they do, but the grizzly has a setup for outboard turning. Just a guess, but it looks like you could get a good 18-20" bowl going on this thing if it's a nice balanced blank. Again it looks like it can take an extension but no mention. She's pricy for a midi at $375

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think I will look at the 12 X 20 VS with outboard turning. One question though: Does it have full VS or just within separate belt ranges?

I sure hate changing belt speeds and often change from 3000 to sub 1000 and back. I don't like the Jet VS that only changes speed within one belt range.

Russianwolf

Hank,
It's within belt changes. It has three possible ranges. 300-900, 600-1800, 1200-3600. Full EVS would be great, but it ain't here yet.

Stevers,
But that other topic (which I didn't see as I don't go in that forum much) doesn't have my witty reparte.................. fine, my totally incoherent ramblings?

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Stopped by Grizzly in Springfield today and discovered that the new GO657 (10x16) and the GO658 (12x20) will not be in the store until the end of January. Oh, and did you notice on the back cover of the new catalog the Tormek knockoff for $169.95. Looks identical to the older Tormek. Did not check on it at the store because I didn't notice the ad until I got home. Not that I'm a bettin man, but I'll lay you odds that the Tormek jigs will fit.:D

woodman928

Hey Freddie I was in there at about 3:00 today also. I wanted to see the new grinder but Tim said they wont be in for about a month also. There has been some talk about the grinder on another site and they say the Tormek jig will work but I dont know enough about them to know. Maybe one of us could talk Ballews into letting us try his Tormek jigs on one for free LOL :D:D:D
Jay

bradbn4

The only real downside from these lathes is that they don't have an index system.

And I am a bit surprised at the overall weight, in a good way.

I was just thinking how nice it would be to have a small lathe in the basement when it is just too cold to be in the garage. But it would need full VS + indexing system. I think Jet has one like that - but not sure.

Bradbn4 - trying to stay warm in Colorado (temp zero)

jrc

For turning pens I have a Jet Mini and turned almost every day for the last 6 1/2 years with 0 problems. I have had many grizzly products and they have been OK but there is no way you can compair the quality and durability of the jet mini to a grizzly. The new jet mini has an indexing system

woodman928

Mike
All of my dealings with Ballew have been great. When I had my woodworking business going almost everything in the shop was from him. But you do have to take a lot of crap from Steve LOL.:D:D
I've been dealing with them for over 23 years now but I do like to give him a bunch of crap about going and buying everything from Grizzly and I will if its a better deal. LOL:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom