Two Cactus pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Two pens I made this weekend with two kits that are long gone

This is a Lotus fountain pen made with a Prickly Pear Cactus from Curtis Seebeck (www.turntex.com).

The interiour is painted and the finish is a buffed CA.

IMG_8857.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

This is an Imperial, roller pen made with a Prickly Pear Cactus from Curtis. The tube is painted and the finish is a buffed CA.

IMG_8851.jpg

IMG_8853.jpg

These were hard pens to sell with most any body type, I dressed these last two in my favorite eye catching material, here's hoping they find homes really soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Jim, wonderful pens, great colors and fine finish and fit. I'd rather have either one of them than a new puppy.:):biggrin:

Charles

I think they are both very nice looking. Love the blanks and your fit and finish. I made a few Imperials, but it always seemed they were a little much with the double centerband. But both pens are beautiful.

I think they are both very nice looking. Love the blanks and your fit and finish. I made a few Imperials, but it always seemed they were a little much with the double centerband. But both pens are beautiful.

Thanks Peter.

I agree on the look of the double band on the Lotus. When you use one though the tactile feel on the finger with the band seems okay

Hi Jim; I have a red cactus blank I received in a blank swap. I have no idea if it is the original cactus from Curtis or if it was casted by the member I received it from.

I want to use it on something special. Would you mind telling me what colours you painted the tubes on each. If I recall Curtis recommends reverse painting with blank. The black raises some doubts in my mind!:)

I only have one blank and I don't want to spoil it!

Great looking pens! Now you've gone and motivated me to make a couple of Curtis' Cactus Pens for Christmas gifts. Excellent job again, Jim!

Hi Jim; I have a red cactus blank I received in a blank swap. I have no idea if it is the original cactus from Curtis or if it was casted by the member I received it from.

I want to use it on something special. Would you mind telling me what colours you painted the tubes on each. If I recall Curtis recommends reverse painting with blank. The black raises some doubts in my mind!:)

I only have one blank and I don't want to spoil it!

Hey Mack....It's an old secret...LOL

Nah....I spray paint the tube the same colour as the cactus blank, then apply a few thin coats of sparkly red nail polish.... I wet sand the turned blank, to about 800, then CA finish the surface to seal the edges of the cactus and also build up a shin, I buff the CA and that is it.

Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON; [quote said:

Nah....I spray paint the tube the same colour as the cactus blank, then apply a few thin coats of sparkly red nail polish.... I wet sand the turned blank, to about 800, then CA finish the surface to seal the edges of the cactus and also build up a shin, I buff the CA and that is it.
That's the way I considered doing it, just needed confirmation from the master that I was on the right track. Thank you, Sir!:biggrin:

Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON; [quote said:

That's the way I considered doing it, just needed confirmation from the master that I was on the right track. Thank you, Sir!:biggrin:

Master???? No way buddy, You are. A side note, silver powder sprinkles from Michaels, I add them to my epoxy and then spread it on the coloured tubes, it really kicks up the look

Back
Top Bottom