Twelve Inch Oak Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

While at the coffee shop this morning a lady from the group of regulars asked if I could make her a shallow bowl the same as her red oak coffee and end tables. I asked if her tables were open grain or a flat filled surface. She said open grain. I was sure glad to hear that because I don't enjoy making a slurry to fill the grain in a piece of open grain oak that size.
I picked up a piece of 8/4 oak at the lumber yard on my way home. It was 12.25 inch wide so I got them to saw off a piece the same length and I was able to make a full 12" diameter bowl from that piece which cost me $15.09 billed out at 2 bd feet.
So far I only have two coats of lacquer on it .
She wants a high gloss like her tables . I will give it a couple more coats and may not have to cut the shine back much at all.

12inchOakBowlTop.jpg

12inchOakBowlBottom.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kalai

Hi William, nice bowl, 12" that is a good size, don't you just love turning big things. If you need some biger wood to turn, I am cutting down a Monkey Pod tree that is almost 4 feet in diameter. Great Job, aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

W.Y.

Thanks for the comments.

I was a little concerned if my Holdfast vacuum chucking system would work on the big lathe I have now. It uses a 3/8 " threaded brass lamp rod to go through the head stock . It was only about 6" long on the mini lathe so when I was in the city on Monday I found a 12" long one and it was 'just' long enough to go through the head stock. I hooked a 6" diameter vacuum chuck up to turn the foot on that heavy oak bowl and it worked like a charm .
wink.gif

Top Bottom