Turning tuition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from talbot

talbot

The recent post by Les re his second bowl got me thinking about my early instruction in bowl turning.
Im very fortunate to be a member of an excellent turning club with some very talented and experienced turners who have taught me so much over the past 2 years.
I bought a lot of books on turning and suscribed to the Woodturning mag as well and they also taught me a bit.
I think however I was 'inspired' and still am by some of the DVd's that I bought and in particular the following:
Turning Wood by Richard Raffan. It took a lot of the unknown out of woodturning for me and the bowlturning sections are amazing.
Turnaround - Jimmy Clewes. His first DVD and then Turn it On, his second DVD which is a three part set.
Jimmy's technique and tool use are filmed extremely well and these DVD's really show how easy turning bowls and spindle work can and should be. His commentary (if you guys can understand him) gets things across in a very clear and simple manner. Watching these DVD's makes you want to have a go!
Jimmy now resides in the US and if any of you want a great 1-1 tuition he is worth every penny.
The last DVD for me is by Andy Lodge - Turning for Results, Bowl Turning Masterclass No. 4.
Andy is more old school but his skills and experience show through in a manner yet again that makes it all look so simple. He turns 4 bowls in this DVD and you see the whole thing from start to finish,,great stuff.

Thought I'd mention the above as these are the DVD's that I watch over and over and still get something from. Ive seen many others but I put these at the top of my list.
regards, Bill

Tn-Steve

I teach for a living (computer programming / database admin & design) and I can tell you that having a good instructor show you how to do things, either in person or via video / DVD is invaluable. I, of course, am an exception, and can teach myself the the fine points of turning, the only problem is that I don't know any more than my instructor does, and he's a total idiot. :):):)

Seriously, if you don't have someone to physically help you out, the next best thing is a good video, it lets you see HOW to do it, and then it's a matter of translating that to personal feel and skills. Nice thing about a living person at your shoulder, he can see the mistakes and help correct you BEFORE you develop bad habits to break later.

Just my .02

Steve

Top Bottom