Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knottyharry

Has anyone had any experience with Southern Brand Tools.
I was looking at a five piece set of miniature turning tools on their website.
But I know nothing about this company.
Any suggestions would be great.
Harry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

None here. Are they low priced? Sometimes even the low price stuff is a good value. Personally, I rarely use the miniatures. Most of my pen turning is done with 1/2" and 1" gouges and a 1" skew.

Deere41h

Harry, You might want to consider a set of Harbor Freight tools. A box of 8 for under $36.00. There are several of us here that have them and they work very nicely. And you don't have to worry about destroying a high price tool when learning to sharpen them.

They are HSS as well so they stay sharp for quite a while. Good luck.

Dario

I have been turning for a few years...and still using my 8pc HSS set from Harbor Freight. It was only $25.00 [:D] then. They are still almost full length so I probably won't be using these up in my lifetime. I am not saying I won't upgrade when my finances permit though [;)]

gothycdesigns

I have a 3pc. set from Harbor Freight. Cost was $5.00, HSS 1/8" Parting Tool, 1/2" Skew, and 1/2" bowl gouge....something like that. I bought them a couple of months ago. Have work really well. I've ben sharpening them by Dremel, but yesterday bought a 6" bench grinder. This will help greatly in sharpening them.

I have found that sharpening the bowl gouge with more of a point. When you buy the tools, they are straight cut, I have grinded down the outer edges to produce a more center point or a rounded tip. It allows me to roll more when getting into tight designs. You don't have the high edges of the gouge nicking your work. If I get a pick of it, I'll post it to show. I'm sure some other turners may do the same thing and may have pictures of their tools.

So for the price, I would go for it, and as mentioned above, you don't have to worry about damaging a expensive tool.

Later,
Ray K.

knottyharry

I was looking for a set to do small stuff with.
I actually found several 5 piece sets ranging from 35 to 39 dollars....made up of 1/4 and 1/8 inch pieces.
It said they were HSS.
I did a search on google and came up with the Southern stuff but can't find it right now.
Woodcraft.com had a set. And Woodworker.com also had some.

Originally posted by gothycdesigns
<br />I have a 3pc. set from Harbor Freight. Cost was $5.00, HSS 1/8" Parting Tool, 1/2" Skew, and 1/2" bowl gouge....something like that. I bought them a couple of months ago. Have work really well. I've ben sharpening them by Dremel, but yesterday bought a 6" bench grinder. This will help greatly in sharpening them.

Yep, they are a nice value. Of course they are priced at $9.99 now and as of about a month ago have been discontinued. The item #47100 can still be found on pegs in the local HF shops. If you find some, you can always ask the manager to look them up to verify that they are no longer listed and if he/she can make you a better price. You may have to offer to buy all that remain to get a markdown. But you can always use an extra set to reprofile, donate a set to your turning club for the monthly drawings, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom