Turning tool mod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I a recent thread someone asked about modifying the shape of a tool, so I thought I'd post my recent custom tool. Jeff Powell showed me the tool he used to remove threads from the inside of a cap (for kitless work). So, I started there and added a couple more functions.

This very old tool started life as a carbon steel parting tool. As I have a newer carbon steel parting tool of the same size, and a HSS one, this redundant tool got re-purposed.

This tool is intended to be used as a scaper on the inside of small turnings. I have tried each of the following functions one time (Its a recent thing) and I like it!!

The left side I used to remove threads from the inside of a cap for kitless work.

The top I used to cut the recess in the end of a upper barrel for a recessed clip (See my Cigar mod contest entry) I perfer this appraoch to using a drill to cut the recess.

The angled right side I used with the lathe running in reverse to make a very small jam chuck with a tapered inside (also used on the cigar mod pen).

It needs a little improvement. Next time I grind it, I'm going to square up the top and left edges (or maybe even go a little past square).

This is once case where a small tool beats a big tool :biggrin:.

Note that the top is beveled back like a scraper - it just the camer angle that makes it look otherwise.

Attachments

• DSCN1137.jpg
    DSCN1137.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 171
Top Bottom