• Adjustable Mandrel

Votes: 55 34.2%
  • Between Centers

Votes: 64 39.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

I have turned all my pens on a mandrel. Up until now that is.:)

I recently ordered the neccessary center I needed from johnnycnc (as well as a few other goodies) and a custom rest from rherrell.:biggrin::)

Can't wait to give TBC a try once I get over a nasty little bout with cocbolo dust! :mad:

DurocShark

In that case, mandrel just because I haven't bought the stuff for centers turning, though I do it with regular bushings and no special drive center on occasion.

I have an adjustable mandrel, but I don't use the drive end anymore, instead I chuck up the mandrel in my scroll chuck now.

Steve Busey

TBC is quickest for me, as even my shorter adjustable mandrel is susceptible to bending. There are still a couple styles where I have to pull out the mandrel because I don't have TBC bushings, but TBC is the rule.

jkeithrussell

mickr,

Since this seems to bother you so much:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/guys

Of particular interest is this:
2. Usually, guys. Informal. persons of either sex; people: Could one of you guys help me with this?

Just thought I would help you out.

Beat me to the punch. This is the 3d time, if my search is correct, that this has been posted. Here's a funny:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47336&highlight=guys&page=2

Just busting your chops a bit, Mickr, please don't take offense.

papNal

Thanks to Johnnys bushings I also started the TBC way.However I still use a mandrel with Johnnys Eliminator finishing bushings.They are GREAT!!!
John
On Lake Martin,Al.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I lost my mandrel and dont know where to find it so i made my own center for each tube and dont use bushings. I just use a digital caliper, but i don use kits either.

Last edited:

jskeen

I turn almost exclusively between centers, but also almost exclusively with out bushings at all. If I could afford Johnny's I would almost certainly use them, but I got tired of having to correct the OOR from the stock bushings right at the end before miking the ends down to size, and just decided it was easier to forgo them altogether. I had a real bad habit of biting into the bushings with my gouge anyway, and now I don't have to worry about it :)

bruce119

I voted adjustable mandrel but never adjust it. heck it is the same one I been using about a year now. Probably 500 pens later got to keep banger them out got 5 more shows this spring. I use my mini 7x14 metal lathe use a tool bit to get to round then put on a tool rest and finish with a 1/2 oval skew. Works for me everything I do.:wink:

leehljp

Member Liaison
As a history to TBC as far as I know - In 2006 I saw a reference by Frank (aka Rifleman) on this forum to Mandrel-less (one of several ways it was mentioned back then.) In early 2007, Frank mentioned it again as a fix for sticking bushings and lifting CA on oily woods. (It was this post that sent me into the Mandrel-less / TBC turning.) Then in a related post, he mentioned some who had been doing it for sometime even then. John (JohnnyCNC) was one name who came up. I wrote John (he probably forgot that email) and IIRC, he knew of a few others that were doing it back in '06 too.

With the first turning without a mandrel, the simplicity, speed of work (adding and removing) and accuracy became so addictive I couldn't let go!

If anyone else can add to this, it would be interesting.

Last edited:

mickr

Beat me to the punch. This is the 3d time, if my search is correct, that this has been posted. Here's a funny:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47336&highlight=guys&page=2

Just busting your chops a bit, Mickr, please don't take offense.
I do not take offense..if guys is considered universal (by guys, obviously) then gals would also be universal...We live in a time where we have all matured into people who understand that inclusivity is important in human interactions..not assuming that everyone is a certain color, gender, religious belief system etc...when we interact with one another we need to be sensitive to the fact that others are in "our group" and not dismiss them...I would speak up if the forum were majority women & not including men...If everytime you went to a forum that you had interest in & you were not included, would you go there? I doubt it...But your language and choices are up to you

awolfe

I personally take no offense to be included when someone says "guys". In fact, I use the word often just so I don't have to type extra words. It is, to me, just a generalized word that saves time and typing. If I correct someone over not adding "girls" in the sentence it is because I'm up to mischief and it's fun.

DurocShark

Doesn't "hermanos" mean either brothers or brothers & sisters?

To me "guys" is the same way. "Dudes" I would take to mean males only.

jkeithrussell

I do not take offense..if guys is considered universal (by guys, obviously) then gals would also be universal...We live in a time where we have all matured into people who understand that inclusivity is important in human interactions..not assuming that everyone is a certain color, gender, religious belief system etc...when we interact with one another we need to be sensitive to the fact that others are in "our group" and not dismiss them...I would speak up if the forum were majority women & not including men...If everytime you went to a forum that you had interest in & you were not included, would you go there? I doubt it...But your language and choices are up to you

I don't agree with any of that, but I'm not going to argue with you about it. I'm sure you have good reasons for your point of view.

Out of curiousity, would you tell us why this issue is of such importance to you? Some people bristle at crappy grammar, some don't like opposing political views, some think there is only one right way to apply a CA finish, etc. Your issue seems to be "you guys," and I'm just curious to learn why.

Top Bottom