Turning supplies in Florida

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

3Peake

Can anybody recommend places in or very near to Florida, that sells turning supplies.
I'm actually coming to Florida and stopping there for 2 weeks at the end of March on a family holiday, but I'm thinking I will be able to sweet talk my wife into letting me go shopping as I'm already going to be playing chauffeur with our rental as she won't drive anywhere she doesn't know.
I'm also hoping to order some supplies to be delivered to our hotel whilst we're there so how long before I arrive should I order the supplies.
Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

I don't know of any suppliers/stores in Fla. but if you are planning to order some of your supplies we have some great vendors here on IAP. The ones I've dealt with have great shipping records - most within a week. Enjoy your stay in Fla and welcome to the colonies!
gordon

wyone

I bet most of the vendors on IAP would be happy to ship directly to the hotel during your time there. I bet you could even place an order from England, and have it delivered to the hotel and it would be there when you arrived. Not champagne waiting in your room, but something just as fun! :)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Where in florida? Its not a small state really, not two wide but pretty long.. I just checked and Florida is larger than England (130,395 sq km) Florida (170,304 sq km) Depending on where you end up staying will make difference in the answers

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
how long will you stay at the hotel. Priority mail is 2 -3 days I ship to hotels often. Things can be overnighted but it does add to the cost.

3Peake

Thanks for the replies. I have dealt with a few of the vendors from the IAP and they are always helpful. It's just the cost of shipping that adds a lot and import duty in this country.
Mike we're stopping in Orlando on International Drive and we'll be there for 13 nights.

its_virgil

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I would definitely plan on a visit to the Woodcraft store in Orlando. I've never been to that one, but anytime I make a trip somewhere, I always check out the Woodcraft & Rockler stores if there's one in the area. Some are better than others, but I always enjoy browsing even if I don't buy anything.

There are also 5 Harbor Freight stores in Orlando and it might be worthwhile to visit one of them if you need some of their tools. They sometimes have great sales.

As others have mentioned, do some on-line shopping ahead of time and have your orders shipped to your hotel. If you are going to be there 13 days, you'll have plenty of time to place orders during your first few days and receive them in plenty of time before you leave. Just be sure to have your items shipped by priority mail & you will get them in 2-3 days.

Here's another thought - when you're packing, leave as much room in your bags as possible & bring the oldest clothes you can get by with then throw it away at the end of your trip to make even more room for all the great stuff you're going to be taking back home.

Have a great trip.

NittanyLion

I was pleasantly surprised at the Orlando Woodcraft after my last trip. Their wood selection was great and they had a lot of marked down "cut offs". I also recommend the Tampa Woodcraft. The folks their really treated me well. I had to leave clothes in Florida in order to fit my purchases in my luggage after my last trip;)

Here's another thought - when you're packing, leave as much room in your bags as possible & bring the oldest clothes you can get by with then throw it away at the end of your trip to make even more room for all the great stuff you're going to be taking back home.

Have a great trip.

One more thought along this line....I used to do some travel and dealing with Trinidad when I was still working... often those I dealt with traveled to the U.S., and more specifically Houston for either pleasure or business... sometimes they would pack an extra empty suitcase in their luggage specifically for taking things back to Trinidad...

3Peake

Have a great trip.

One more thought along this line....I used to do some travel and dealing with Trinidad when I was still working... often those I dealt with traveled to the U.S., and more specifically Houston for either pleasure or business... sometimes they would pack an extra empty suitcase in their luggage specifically for taking things back to Trinidad...

I like the thinking......I always seem to lug the suitcases anyway. Even a slightly larger suitcase than we need may be an idea.
Hopefully I'll get to the Woodcraft store as I've mentioned it to my wife and she said "no problem":highfive::highfive::highfive:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hate to pour cold water but check with the hotel to see if they will CHARGE you for receiving your packages. When I went to the DC show, the hotel added $25 per box for their charge.

This may not be a deal-breaker, but you probably would want to get as much as possible using the fewest vendors you can---the hotel charged the same for a large flat rate box as they did for a SMALL 6 x 9 x 2 package!

3Peake

Thanks for the warning Ed, we've emailed the hotel to see what they say about receiving parcels.
How much and what sizes are medium and large flat rate boxes?

Last edited:

nativewooder

There is Exotic Woods in Casselberry where the seers and witches live. But as far as buying supplies, it would definitely be less expensive to buy from the Vendors on IAP and have them shipped to your hotel as has been said.

woodbutcher

I highly recommend Amazon Hardwoods located in listing 328 Commercial St, Casselberry, FL. 32707 407) 339-9590 I have dealt with this company for 10 yrs and not a single problem. This is where Woodcraft in Orlando buys most of their exotic woods. Amazon is family owned and operated. Their wood selection is second to none. This store is around 4 mi from the Woodcraft store so visiting both should not be a problem for you. PM me when you get to town and I will be glad to help any way I can. Hope this helps.

amazonexotichardwoods.com
more info

duc9nine9

+1 to what Jim said. Amazon is a great place (buy more luggage) and it's real close to WoodCraft. Both places are on my radar when I'm out that way.

Top Bottom