Turning Pecan-crete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodwish

Spent part of the week turning several platters made from pecan with walnut accents. Made 4 of them so far. Love to make them but that pecan is so &%$@# hard I spend as much time sharpening tools as using them. This one is about 16" across, max my Jet 1642 will handle. I also finished gluing up one tonight made from walnut and maple, should be much easier to turn than this brick-like stuff this one is made of.

200612742728_platter.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomServo

Very nice! I love pecan... any chance you've got some leftover bowl blank size pieces? say 8x8x6"?

That walnut should be like turning butter after the pecan-crete!

woodwish

Tom- Unfortunalty when I found all this pecan it had been rough cut to 4/4 years ago after Hurrican Opal in the early 90's. A guy I chanced to meet had several thousand board feet in a garage he needed cleaned out so he could park his two Harley's. He was going to burn it so I took it off his hands, being the nice guy that I am [;)] Problem is that it is so hard but I am drawn to using it, made all kinds of stuff but the pile has not decreased much. Here is 8" platter I made from it also-

2006127122721_DSC06346.jpg
<br />

Doghouse

Pecan is know as Southern Hickory. Now you know why.[:D]

You should try a couple of walking sticks. It has a great shock absorption factor so it is comfortable, and strong vs thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom