Turning on the backside of a bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've turned bowls before using a similar technique. I used my with lathe face plate with the wood screwed to the plate. I turn the bottom of the bowl then do the face. Once I've got it where I want it I cut the bowl off with either a band saw or a small hand saw. But...I've never seen anything like this. And I've never made a lid like he did on this one. This guys got some talent and interesting technique.

bmachin

Cody,

Take a close look at the hook tool that he's using. It's sharpened on both edges so that he can cut wood that is moving away from him. His moves are so subtle and skilled that they're easy to miss. I'm impressed. This guy is good.

Bill

Charlie_W

Yup, I've seen the videos of someone using the double edged ring or hook tool but not in person. This turner really understands bevel to cutting edge relationship and is very, very proficient! I am guesthguessing this was green wood but still wonderful to watch. He has developed a method that works well for his skillet and tools.
I would say cutting on the uphill side is not common but with very sharp tools and bevel support, he can do this...and do it well.

I see some reverse the lathe and cut on the far side but the wood is still traveling down towards the tool rest. ( chuck needs to be locked to the spindle with a setscrew for this technique)

Top Bottom