Turning Gator jawbone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Today, I have a question.
I just received a gator jawbone blank and would like to know what to do or not do as this is the first time with this blank.
Of course, I would think to drill slow speed/slow feed with a sharp bit.

Should I reinforce the blank before drilling? It will be a Zen and am using a 3/4" blank.

Any special turning tips? Light cuts, Carbide tools? I will finish with CA.

I posted a Cheer for Classic Nib for their great service/shipping. I don't know why it is not showing up in the regular forum. It is in the Cheers/Jeers forum though. I just saw the earlier post regarding Cheers and Jeers. I do like to read these unless someone is just bashing a vendor.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Hi Charlie, since you mentioned Classic in your post, if you got one of Tom Barron's gator blanks, you don't have anything to worry about. The bone is stabilized -- drills and turns easily, just don't get too aggressive. That is my rule on any blank that costs more than $10 :eek:

If it is from some other source and not stabilized, you might need to be more careful. I would focus on careful drilling. Take your time, don't let the bit get too hot to touch, back the drill and clear often. If it is not stabilized, I wear a dust mask, I don't want to be breathing that bone.

Regarding tools - why would you use anything but a carbide??? :tongue:

Here is a link to my first gator. This was before Tom started stabilizing so you can disregard the frequent CA baths...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/dont-fear-gator-101744/

Have fun!

Harry

lyonsacc

I just did my first gator a month or two ago.

Go slow and make sure everything is sharp. When I got close to final size I poured some thin CA on a few spots I was nervous about.

If the "respiratory therapist that wears combat boots" sees this post he will remind you to wear breathing protection when turning anything with bone/antler because the dust can be particularly nasty to your lungs.

Dave

OKLAHOMAN

Charlie, you blank is indeed one of Tom Barrons stabilized blanks, drill with a sharp bit and turn with as sharp of tool you on (highly recommend carbide). When drill clean out the hole often about every 1/4 inch and turn with light cuts and you'll do fine. Thanks for the cheer. Roy

tkbarron

Hey Charlie,

I hope you enjoy turning the blank. What color did you get btw?

I will echo what others have said; take your time turning, use very sharp tools and make light cuts. Once you get the blank down to final depth and you've sanded, grab an old toothbrush along with a can of compressed air and work the blank over for a few minutes. That will clear any small pockets of dust that WILL otherwise remain. Then clean it well with DNA before applying a CA finish.

Please post pictures!

Thanks,

Tom

Charlie_W

Again, Thanks for the advice.

The blank is the Gator Nation. My daughter has a friend who is going to be going to the University of Florida in a couple of weeks.

I will post pics when it is done!

Top Bottom