Turning down a sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonSchmitt

Here's the 2nd email I received from a prospective "customer" to an ad I posted on craigslist. Is it just me, or does this scream SCAM in a very loud voice??

Thanks for the prompt response to my mail. I will be buying from you
so please kindly withdraw the advert from CRAIGSLIST. I don't mind
paying an additional $30 for it in order for you to take the AD down
from craigslist and also to be assured that it is already mine. Please
be informed that i will be paying with money order
as i just moved here from CArdiff, on a job transfer and it is going
to be sent to you via courier service which is going to be mailed to
you overnight.My mover will be coming over for the pick up as soon as
you have the Money cashed,so you don't need to bother about the
shipping as everything on that is well arranged.I will need the
following details to mail the payment to in order to facilitate the
payment asap ..............

1.Name to be on the payment
2.Home address (not p.o. Box address)
3.Cell phone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

OMG IS THAT A SCAM. WILL PAY WITH MONEY ORDER. BET IT IS OVER THE PAYMENT AMOUNT AND WILL NEED CHANGE SENT BACK TO HIM.

Simplex

Big time! Did you do a search of the email address or contact information he left? 99% of the time it will be linked to other scams. There are forums that post email addresses or phone numbers of CL scammers.

PenMan1

Craig's list has become so filled with scammers that I had to send a guy my street address and name some local stuff before he would even talk to me about buying a camper top he had for sale.

He's had hundreds of replies and he almost tossed mine because all of the others were scams.

RonSchmitt

Big time! Did you do a search of the email address or contact information he left? 99% of the time it will be linked to other scams. There are forums that post email addresses or phone numbers of CL scammers.

Sure did, he's on the list.
I would post my reply to him, but this is a family site and TOS prevent me from doing so.:rolleyes:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Welcome to the world

Sure did, he's on the list.
I would post my reply to him, but this is a family site and TOS prevent me from doing so.:rolleyes:

When I was an eBay seller, I averaged about 2 or 3 similar emails per week. The difference was they usually claimed to have bought something and paid for it and wanted their money back.

EricJS

Scam. The same keywords and phrases are used on nearly all of these: "Withdraw the advert" "Pay/send an additional $$$" "My mover (sometimes they use the word "shipper") will pick up after the money order clears..."

The money order will clear - for about 1-3 weeks, then it will be discovered as duplicated or otherwise fraudulent. Your bank will actually see it as legitimate until it comes back to them. That's how this works.

I studied these scams after I started selling on Craigslist.

I always follow these two rules when I sell on Craigslist: 1. In Person, 2. Cash Only (with one exception - vehicle sale if they use a well-known bank.)

When I put something on Craigslist I make it clear that this is a Cash Only Transaction and I rarely get these emails. You will probably get several of these before you sell the item & delete the posting. Just ignore them. You'll know when it's a real person.:wink:

Top Bottom