turning design suggestions wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

This is not really a pen question, unless you've ever made a 20 inch long pen. I'm going to make a reproduction of a piece my grandfather made cira 1930. I guess you would call it a sideboard table. It was probably used as a serving table in a dining room. Each side has arms (which look like ears) with dowels. For holding towels I suppose. They are 20 inches long, 3/4" round. I want to turn them rather than use boring old dowels. I will probably make them larger in diameter.

My problem is I seem to have no creativity at the moment. I've googled dowels, table legs, walking canes, but not found any inspiration.

Can you help me design (or point me in the right direction) a 20 inch dowel with coves and curves and beads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I would buy some cheap dowels and practice to see what I could comfortably turn to help me make the decision. As a suggestion, taken from your post, practice making coves, curves and beads.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
If you don't want to use simple dowels, then think about how you would use them. You mentioned towel holders. At 20 inches they would seem about the right length to hold 2 tea towels folded in half.

I envision a pair of ~9 inch shallow coves with bead in the center that bracked by V cuts. So the profile would go

Tenon with 5/8 diameter
Cove 7/8" max diameter 5/8" min diameter
V cut to a depth of 5/8"
Bead with max diameter of 7/8"
V cut to a depth of 5/8"
Cove 7/8" max diameter 5/8" min diameter
Tenon with 5/8 diameter

GoodTurns

if you want to start with a dowel (any variety) dowelsondemand.com has just about every type of wood in any size4 you want. I have used him several times and always been very satisfied with the product.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Rmartin

Thanks for the quick reply. To be clear, I have no problem making coves, beads and such, my problem at the moment is design.

Actually what I meant was experiment with shapes and see what you like with the different shapes. I did not mean to intimate that you didnt know the shapes. I apologise if it was taken as condescending.

Rmartin

No, I didn't take it as condesending at all. I just misunderstood. If I can see something, I can replicate it, or change it to fit, but doing something free-form is not my forte.

I'm going to make this out of Cherry, so I planned on glueing a couple of 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 to give me a 1 1/2 inch square block to start with.

But for now, I'm off to check out the links and images!

Thanks

Rmartin

Man, great links, you guys rock!

I can get cherry dowels pre-rounded cheaper than I can buy 3/4" strips and and glue it up myself.

Scott

Hi Richard!

It's nice that you want to turn these items rather than use boring dowels. I would still keep them simple, maybe a couple of beads in the center, and then sweeping down to a taper at both ends. If you have a long bed lathe, the problem is keeping it steady while you turn. If you have a short bed lathe, the challenge is turning it as two parts and joining it without looking like it is joined! I am quite capable of turning coves and beads too, but on long objects I think they end up looking busy. Keep it simple!

Scott.

Randy_

You could visit your local public library and borrow a few books on antique furniture. I'm sure you would find plenty of pictures to give you inspiration and you would have the added benefit that the designs would be historically correct. You might even find a companion book or two associated with the PBS TV show, New Yankee Workshop. Some of Norm's work might give you some ideas.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wdcav1952

I would buy some cheap dowels and practice to see what I could comfortably turn to help me make the decision. As a suggestion, taken from your post, practice making coves, curves and beads.

Check out Van Dykes Restorers. www.vandykes.com
They may have items that will give inspiration.

Frank - That is a GREAT link. Thanks!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by leehljp

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Check out Van Dykes Restorers. www.vandykes.com
They may have items that will give inspiration.

Frank - That is a GREAT link. Thanks!

Good luck. BTW, legs or spindles over about 18" can be very difficult to turn. Even with a center steady rest, they can be very 'whippy'. Do practice on wood you can afford to throw away.

Scott

BTW, legs or spindles over about 18" can be very difficult to turn. Even with a center steady rest, they can be very 'whippy'. Do practice on wood you can afford to throw away.

Yes indeed! I like to turn canes with a single shaft, which can sometimes be over 30 inches. I do have a spindle steady, but it still gets interesting! It's a fun challenge. So be aware that it is a very real problem.

Scott.

Rmartin

Thanks for the warnings. I just bought the extention for my jet mini lathe, so I haven't turned anything this long before. I wonder if I should make it in two pieces. I'll have to check into this spindle steady thing.

Scott said:

Keep it simple!

I hear ya!

Top Bottom