Turning Brass Inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djz9

Anyone have any ideas, I am trying to use 20g. brass sheet, to inlay into dark wood. I need a mastic that will hold with tranfer heat, but not stain the wood. I have found turning fast, but in short time, giving the glue time to rebond seems to work, but still not the greatest. CA just lets go, as does most 2 part epoxy, they get britle and just crack off, the closest I have found was copper epoxy, but it discolors around the cut.

Also Please everyone have a safe and happy New Year !!!
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would say that you might be a little too aggressive with the chisel or the chiesel is not sharp enough. I have been using brass for over a year and done a couple of dozen pens with segments and brass.

With lots of experience with different kinds of glue in flat work, I started using brass knowing that just a little too much heat can destroy bonds quickly. Because of that, I knew that I had to be very patient and take very very small bites, have a very sharp chisel and sharpen after 20 to 30 seconds of turning. I could not allow heat to build up. I even made some sand paper sticks and sanded the final size. That took quite some time.

My focus with brass is the finished product and not allowing the fact that it takes 4 times as long as a regular blank to make into a pen. There are not short cuts that I know of except cutting the brass as close to final turning size as possible.

djz9

Thanks for all the info, 1st I made a mistake, I am using 14g Brass, it may be to thick, but today I started to use a sharp parting tool on just the brass area, then take the wood down after, in very short steps, and letting it cool in between, that seems to be working so far. However one more question is, would you trun it at a fast speed, or a slow one? Thanks again Dave

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dave,

IMO, I would turn it at a fast speed, take small bites, let it cool and turn some more. Slower turning increases the chances for grabbing a burr. That has been my experience.

Top Bottom