Turning between centers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russell Eaton

I posted last week about ca finish cracking when a took off the bushings. Most people said it could be fixed by turning between centers. I have got my toy's from Jonny CNC , thanks by the way,but my question is do you turn to the exact size or alittel smaller to allow for ca finish. If so how mich smaller do you go?
Once again thanks for the help. Russell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

I've heard of this problem from others, but I must be doing something but I don't know what as it's never happened to me. If one of the bushings is stuck, I give it a light tap on the lathe and that always breaks it free. Are you leaving it on the lathe for a long period of time? Many coats of CA can be applied in just a few minutes. The CA should not have fully set that quickly.

jleiwig

Before I turned between centers I would turn a touch under at the very ends only. That way there wasn't a ridge at the bushing/pen intersection.

Turning between centers, I remove the bushings and just finish between centers.

bcoyne

I had this problem early on in the learning steps. What I do now is turn to match pen kit size, measured with a caliper. Use the bushing only as a guide not a "set in stone" measurement. then I apply 10 coats Thin CA. I do not pull the bushings off. I use a small razor blade knife and cut the CA on the line between the bushing and wood. The CA is soft enough at this point to easily cut. then give a slight twist and off it comes. Then trim the slight lip of CA off. BUT BE CAREFUL here. Always cut pushing inward towards the barrel. Otherwise you will cut and possibly pull the CA away from the wood.

I always let my CA finish set overnight before assembling. Because if the finish clouds or something. I can put it back on the lathe, sand off the CA and start over.

I am very picky about my finishes. But my pen buyers keep coming back.

Good luck.

Bob

Top Bottom