Turning Between Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I am considering beginning turning between centers. Is all I need a 60 degree live center? Do I need a 60 degree dead center for the head stock or what do I use there?

Right now I put my mandrel all the way in and do one side at a time to minimize it, but I figure it would be much better to eliminate it.

Thanks for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Yes, you need a 60 degree dead center for the headstock and a 60 degree live center for the tailstock.

I use regular bushings but many people say the custom bushings are better. If you are doing slimlines or Euros you will need custom bushings because the regular bushings are not stepped.

TX_Planes

I've just switched to between the centers. I ordered a dead center from Johnnycnc. I later ordered a set of bushings from him. Both are well made.
Save yourself the second shipping cost and order the center and bushings.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am considering beginning turning between centers. Is all I need a 60 degree live center? Do I need a 60 degree dead center for the head stock or what do I use there?

Right now I put my mandrel all the way in and do one side at a time to minimize it, but I figure it would be much better to eliminate it.

Thanks for the help!

MYTH: For turning between centers you need a 60° center.

You DO NEED a 60° center for turning on a MANDREL, but NOT necessarily for turning between centers.

However, JohnnyCNC does make his bushings chamfered to 60° because that is the standard for mandrels and most people have 60° live and dead centers. For commercially made and sold bushings from stores like PSI, CSUSA, BearthoothWoods, Berea, AZ S, and others - it does not matter what the degree of the LC and DC is.

For the record, Johnny's bushings are made to much higher tolerances than commercially available bushings are, and are worth the price! But to get started with bushing you have used on a mandrel, a 60° live center is not necessary if you have another one.

Look at this link which about half way down shows a pict of my first dead center. It is no where near 60° and was used on bushings made for mandrels. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=960

It is good to standardize but it is not a requirement.

Last edited:

Wheaties

Wheaties
Have you check Midwest wood workers?

I haven't. The last two times I've went there they didn't have what I needed. Plus everything is marked way up. IMO. I've all but given up on them, which I feel bad because I like supporting local businesses.

Top Bottom